edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
9 replies 1.8K views
flopsy1973flopsy1973 Forumite
436 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi
My monthly saver deal ends in Nov which covers cost of my broadband and line rental for year. it will then go up to 18.00 a month
My phone usage contract ends in May19 and my monthly cost there is about 2-3 pound
i was unaware that i had 2 separate contacts and it will cost me £29 to exit the phone useage contract early.
I was going to go for their new customer deal in my partners name which is equivalent to 11.00 a month
Are plusnet likely to give me better deal to stay with them any suggestions???

Replies

• teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The line saver, as you know only covers 12 months, so for the rest of your agreed (minimum ) term , you have to pay full price , meaning an extra £2.50 per month.

However,in your contract for the line and internet service you have to stay for 18 months or pay a leaving fee, unless there is a price rise (unlikely as they are offering fixes).

You have the choices, therefore, f paying an extra £2.20 for 6 months, pay the fee to leave or repay the upfront saver, but have no bargaining power 6 months later, as they have over £80 of yours , paid in.

They may well be suspicious if you leave and then join in someone else's name and refuse, but anyway you would lose your number and have a time with no internet or phone. Your partner would also have to pay any set up fee that was current at the time (offers alter every 2 weeks with set up free then not, besides other changes) and you would have to pay a cease charge of £30+ as you would not be migrating.

This may well make your proposed change more expensive than your current options.
  • flopsy1973flopsy1973 Forumite
    436 Posts
    ✭✭
    sounds as like they have got me over barrel then, what are they like to haggle with to get a decent deal on my upfront monthly saver or do i go elsewhere
    436 Posts
    ✭✭
    any advice here regarding plusnet or other options
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confused.
    Does your BB contract end in Nov .
    You say your advanced line rental ends in November .

If that is true then phone them up a few weeks before the end and negotiate a new price for BB .
    Line rental will be either monthly or advanced 12 months at a discounted rate .
    If they wont play ball you can pay line rental monthly until phone calls contract ends .
    Move your BB contract to another provider in November .
    Price up alternative suppliers before calling .
    436 Posts
    ✭✭
    if i do go to another supplier when my BB ends in Nov, im still stuck with my phone useage contract. What are Plusnet like for haggling a good deal with
  • I have just completed some haggling with Plusnet ...and they were pretty responsive. I have increased the scope of my broadband/phone deal (eve/weekend calls changed to anytime calls plus quite a few free minutes to mobiles) for another 18 months whilst reducing the monthly cost by approx £8/mth

I got the impression that the industry is a bit cut-throat at the moment (EE & SSE are offering fibre/phone packages in the early £30's) and if you were willing to extend your contract by (say) 18 months then I think they would be willing to do you a deal just to keep you
  • SMCGSMCG Forumite
    87 Posts
    Hi. I am with Plusnet and on a 12 month contract at £19 per month. Do you know what I should expect to be offered at renewal? I see the Post Office has one at £16 for a year. This is just standard broadband and a telephone line. The offer PeteX got seems good. Any advice much appreciated.
  • SMCGSMCG Forumite
    87 Posts
    Well THANKS for NOT replying to me. Very nice indeed. Phoned Plusnet and they put me on £16 like to Post Office one.
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    SMCG wrote: »
    Well THANKS for NOT replying to me. Very nice indeed. Phoned Plusnet and they put me on £16 like to Post Office one.

Perhaps if you had really wanted a reply, you should have created a new thread, rather than hijacking another thread which looks to have run its course.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals