Paypal Disputes

Options

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    why do you mention the loss in Dollars - are you in the USA?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • SMF1
    SMF1 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    why do you mention the loss in Dollars - are you in the USA?

No, UK. There was two separate payments sent to two different accounts on the same day. One was in GBP and the other was in USD.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    assuming they are right than that means definitely 100% the request to withdraw the cash came from your device

It's not quite 100% - MAC address spoofing does exist. But that does seem less likely than the other explanations already suggested.
  • SMF1
    Options
    It's not quite 100% - MAC address spoofing does exist. But that does seem less likely than the other explanations already suggested.

What other explanations already suggested? As far as I'm concerned it's either MAC Spoofing that has taken place or a virus that has the capability to effectively take over my PC and act as me. I do remember some suspicious activity on the PC that I tried to get rid of and thought I had succeeded in doing but i guess i was wrong. When I realised these funds had disappeared I immediately reset my PC and deleted the old windows installation as (to the best of my knowledge at least) is the only way to truly get rid of viruses buried deep within the existing installation.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SMF1 wrote: »
    What other explanations already suggested? As far as I'm concerned it's either MAC Spoofing that has taken place or a virus that has the capability to effectively take over my PC and act as me. I do remember some suspicious activity on the PC that I tried to get rid of and thought I had succeeded in doing but i guess i was wrong. When I realised these funds had disappeared I immediately reset my PC and deleted the old windows installation as (to the best of my knowledge at least) is the only way to truly get rid of viruses buried deep within the existing installation.

I initially thought you used a tablet or phone app to access PayPal because you used the word 'device'.

If you were using PayPal's app it probably would forward the device's MAC and ID to PayPal.

I don't think web browsers send a device's MAC. However, there are other ways to track activity. Using cookies for example.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    SMF1 wrote: »
    What other explanations already suggested?

Ah sorry, basically I meant these:
    18cc wrote: »
    by the way, if it was done from your device id then you need to have a good think about how that could be done - it was either someone else using your device or a software virus logging into your paypal account and making the transfer or someone remotely controllinng your device or...
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I also assumed by the use of the word device that the IOP meant tablet or smartphone or something

if it was done on a browser on a PC then I am also not sure if the browser sends the Mac address to PayPal and in any case there could the other explanations as I am sure there are more viruses around for Windows PC then for a PayPal app on a device

again I would reiterate that your best chance is to go via the PayPal complaints procedure and from there on to the regulator

It is my opinion and only my opinion that Paypal is best avoided. the only safe way to use it is to send money via faster payments your PayPal account and don't link any bank accounts etc I know that as soon as eBay introduce their own payment system which they plan to do I will be closing my PayPal account I don't trust it an inch
  • SMF1
    Options
    Paypal used the word devices with me. Since my phone got changed in November last year it's not possible it could have been this. Can't ever recall using my iPad to log in to paypal but it's been off for months.. that only leaves the PC or the Macbook.
  • It won't just be your IP address - those are easily spoofed as anyone using a VPN will tell you. Your PC, MAC or most other phones or devices have a unique signature which is generated from the hardware in use.

If someone was using your Paypal account from another location or device, Paypal would know. A hacker isn't going to connect to Paypal via your device in real time (as you would have to be online for them to do so and you would see the emails notifying you of the transfer).

Who else has access to your PC/MAC?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that is a good point which I hadn't thought of presumably when the transfers were made you would have got an email from PayPal confirming the transaction did that happen?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure