Housing/CT Benefit - student son at home deferring

Options
Hi

Single parent to son of 20 who is still living at home.

I currently receive 'old-system' housing and council tax benefit

My son started Uni last year, so child tax credit and child benefit, stopped, and working tax credit reduced to single persons amount.

HB & CTB were re-assessed based on the new income - I am looking at one of my letters, and there is normally a deduction from HB for non-dependant adults living at home, but because he is a full-time student, this does not apply. There is also a disregard on the council tax for his student status.

Due to ongoing anxiety and depression issues, he has decided he wants to defer his second year, although he did enrol to see his timetable before he made the decision.

I am just wondering if anybody knows what happens with HB & CTB in these circumstances?

I am assuming if he is still registered on the course he cannot claim any kind of benefits for himself - he's planning on applying for some temporary work.

Thanks

(there's also a whole lot of other questions such as his student bank account, student travel card, the list goes on, and not applicable here)

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zeldazog wrote: »
    Hi

Single parent to son of 20 who is still living at home.

I currently receive 'old-system' housing and council tax benefit

My son started Uni last year, so child tax credit and child benefit, stopped, and working tax credit reduced to single persons amount.

HB & CTB were re-assessed based on the new income - I am looking at one of my letters, and there is normally a deduction from HB for non-dependant adults living at home, but because he is a full-time student, this does not apply. There is also a disregard on the council tax for his student status.

Due to ongoing anxiety and depression issues, he has decided he wants to defer his second year, although he did enrol to see his timetable before he made the decision.

I am just wondering if anybody knows what happens with HB & CTB in these circumstances?

I am assuming if he is still registered on the course he cannot claim any kind of benefits for himself - he's planning on applying for some temporary work.

Thanks

(there's also a whole lot of other questions such as his student bank account, student travel card, the list goes on, and not applicable here)

He needs to sort this out with the university and find out exactly what his 'status' is. Ditto with his student loans etc. They should have a welfare department to help with this.

Until he does this then it will be difficult for him to apply for any benefits in his own name.

Once he is no longer classed as a student and has no other income (i.e student loans) then he can apply for JSA or maybe ESA if he is unfit for work.

Is he receiving any help with his anxiety/depression or is it connected solely with his university experience? University is not for everyone :)
  • Zeldazog
    Options
    Thanks.

He has emailed his course leader today which is what the uni website advises, but I don't know if he has heard back yet as to what he needs to do next.

I am not sure whether, when deferring, they are ever not classed as a student - he's planning on going back at this moment it time (of course things can change) - so it's not leaving, it's taking a break. I think the Uni even refer to it as a 'time out', not sure if this makes things different.

In all honesty, we might be better this way (him remaining as student status), as if he can, and does claim in his own right, this might trigger a change in circumstances - which means I might get migrated onto UC - as a self employed person, this will be an absolute nightmare as right now, I am not able to pay myself their minimum income floor, but again, that's a whole different question.

He's had anxiety and depression issues for over five years now, originally with CaAMHs, but they chuck you out on your 18th birthday, and adult support is scarce - he see's a psychiatrist about once every six months, but is advised to self refer for further help. So, no, its not specifically Uni related.
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    He needs to sort this out with the university and find out exactly what his 'status' is. Ditto with his student loans etc. They should have a welfare department to help with this.

Until he does this then it will be difficult for him to apply for any benefits in his own name.

Once he is no longer classed as a student and has no other income (i.e student loans) then he can apply for JSA or maybe ESA if he is unfit for work.

Is he receiving any help with his anxiety/depression or is it connected solely with his university experience? University is not for everyone :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ..as if he can, and does claim in his own right, this might trigger a change in circumstances - which means I might get migrated onto UC ....

It won't.......
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,957 Forumite
    Options
    If he has a student loan then this will affect any means tested benefits he can claim.
  • Zeldazog
    Options
    Okay, thanks for replies so far - but doesn't answer my question. I didn't ask if he could claim benefits, I asked:

Does anybody know might his deferring affect the disregard on council tax, and the current zero deduction made for second adult living at home on my housing/council tax benefit - (or are both of these actually influenced by whether he can/does claim a benefit?)

Thanks
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2018 at 7:28PM
    Options
    If he's suspended and therefore not currently a student then yes it will affect council tax, he'll not be entitled to student exemption from council tax from the day he's suspended until the day he resumes his studies
  • Zeldazog
    Zeldazog Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 September 2018 at 7:53PM
    Options
    He hasn't actually re-applied for his finance - he's a bit of an ostrich when it comes to all of this, and hasn't been checking emails or anything. He got the full amount allowed for living at home due to my financial circumstances (edited to add) - in his first year, so I don't know if he still should have re-applied, or if it's renewed automatically.

poppy12345 wrote: »
    If he has a student loan then this will affect any means tested benefits he can claim.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    He hasn't actually re-applied for his finance - he's a bit of an ostrich when it comes to all of this, and hasn't been checking emails or anything. He got the full amount allowed for living at home due to my financial circumstances, so I don't know if he still should have re-applied, or if it's renewed automatically.
    That doesn't make sense. He either didn't apply or he's got the student finance for this year. Or do you mean he received it for last year but not this year? You have to re-apply for each year.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    This to me is asking if he can claim any benefits.
  • Zeldazog
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    This to me is asking if he can claim any benefits.

Yes, sorry - you're right - I can see that it seems that way, but I was kinda thinking out loud I guess. I can't do *everything* for him, I was really trying to assess my situation rather than ask about what he can do - he really should be finding that out for himself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure