Now tv hub 2 wifi signal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
14 replies 11.1K views
burtonsburtons Forumite
724 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Does anyone have the now tv hub 2 router and what is the signal like using 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
My daughters chromebook has a weak wifi signal and my now tv account shows weak wifi signal detected so I've tried connecting to 2.4ghz and 5ghz but the wifi signal doesn't improve. I've contacted now tv and they said unfortunately we cannot guarantee wifi speeds.

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have that router.

WiFi signal isn't great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I have that router.

WiFi signal isn't great.

Yeah, I've got it too and thought initially it was decent but it's really not. For anyone not in the know, the NowTV Hub 2 is the Sky Q router.

For the OP, have you tried disabling the 5Ghz band maybe? Or changing channels?
  • burtonsburtons Forumite
    724 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I've got it too and thought initially it was decent but it's really not. For anyone not in the know, the NowTV Hub 2 is the Sky Q router.

For the OP, have you tried disabling the 5Ghz band maybe? Or changing channels?
    No I haven't tried disabling the 5Ghz band but I did uncheck synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings. On the 5GHz wireless settings the channel is on 80MHz ch 36 and the only other options are 40MHz ch 36 and 40MHz ch 44. I installed wifi analyser on my phone and the best channel for 2.4ghz keeps changing all the time so I don't know which is the best channel to choose.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just plugged my old Sky router in (the up right type) (in a different room) and it worked without changing settings.

I'm doing a bit of DIY in the room where the now router was, so can't comment on comparisons annoyingly
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not got the Sky router but can you separate the 5Mhz band from the 2.4 one?

My BT router allows me to have BT-XXX as a 2.4 band SSID and BT-XXX-5 for the 5MHz band. They've both got the same password.

You can then decide which band works best for each device and make sure that the default log-on for that device is to the correct band.

Some devices will get confused if they are trying to log onto a single SSID which covers both bands and they generally default to the 2.4 one.

5MHz is significantly faster than 2.4 but has a much shorter range.

We've solved the range issue by locating the router in the centre of our bungalow.

I've run a Cat5 cable from the FTTP modem which is mounted on an outside wall to the router which is now in the hall
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • edited 28 September 2018 at 6:16PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 28 September 2018 at 6:16PM
    matelodave wrote: »
    I've not got the Sky router but can you separate the 5Mhz band from the 2.4 one?

My BT router allows me to have BT-XXX as a 2.4 band SSID and BT-XXX-5 for the 5MHz band. They've both got the same password.

You can then decide which band works best for each device and make sure that the default log-on for that device is to the correct band.

Some devices will get confused if they are trying to log onto a single SSID which covers both bands and they generally default to the 2.4 one.

5MHz is significantly faster than 2.4 but has a much shorter range.

We've solved the range issue by locating the router in the centre of our bungalow.

I've run a Cat5 cable from the FTTP modem which is mounted on an outside wall to the router which is now in the hall

I'm at work but the 2.4 & 5Ghz settings are on separate tabs with the option to disable either (or both). I've not actually tried it but I might play around when I get the chance. I'm sure I've seen somewhere on here where someone disabled the 5Ghz and solved all of their issues.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did wonder earilier why my sky router was connected twice to my iPhone. I then realised it was probably on both frequencies
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Colin. Have you got your £50 voucher?

What do I need to do to claim it?

Keep getting emails e.g
    Thank you for completing your purchase with NowTV.

Your John Lewis Gift Card is now pending, and will be available to claim after the purchase has been verified.

Details of how to receive your gift will be sent to the email address provided within 60 days from your purchase.

If you have any questions, please contact our friendly customer care team
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Colin. Have you got your £50 voucher?

What do I need to do to claim it?

Keep getting emails e.g

No :(

But only because I missed it...

Stop reminding me.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite