Work related child care problems

Options

Comments

• TunaFish wrote: »
    Really struggling with this and hoping that someone can suggest something I haven't thought of.

My gf is having major issues with child care and I am struggling to help her find a workable solution.

Currently my gf works 3 midweek shifts a week between the hours 07:00 - 20:00. She has an arrangement for child care that covers the school drop off and pick up on those days until she gets home from work. Unfortunately, the arrangement has to stop.

No family or friends can help due to various reasons and my work hours make me unavailable for both drop off and pick up. The earliest the school accepts arrivals is 8am (breakfast club) but I would not be able to get to work on time from the school location. Same for school finish time even accounting for after school club until 18:00.

An example of one day last week my partner was in work 07:00 - 20:00 and I was in the office 09:00 - 17:00 I then had to visit a site from 20:00 until midnight. As you can see days like that will now cause huge headaches as well as normal work days.

We have emailed, phoned, searched the internet asked about for child minders but no one is able to offer help due to my partners shifts not being set days.

She has applied for family friendly working hours but again the shifts offered only sort out the drop off and not the school pick up etc.

At present we don't live together.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tell your GF to apply for another job - one that is more conducive to family life

Some jobs just cannot be changed. Not everywhere can offer family friendly hours..but a some can

In my area currently a major employee are offering 9-3 -and having been there myself I know the problems

IMO it is her hours that are the problem - instead of working three mid week shifts, she could work every day, whilst the kiddie is in school...then she will be there each day to cook tea / provide balanced family life etc
    With love, POSR <3
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    There is almost certainly a facebook or WhatsApp group for mums at the school, that could be a good place to start, or she could speak to the school and see if they know of any parents who might be happy to help.

She'll have to offer something in return obviously.

Why is the previous arrangement coming to an end?

Those hours sound like hospital or care home shifts, if its a hospital they often have nurseries or school clubs close by that cater to the unsocial hours.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    IMO it is her hours that are the problem - instead of working three mid week shifts, she could work every day, whilst the kiddie is in school...then she will be there each day to cook tea / provide balanced family life etc

Her partners hours are also a problem. Why does she need to change her hours so she can be at home and cook tea. He could also look for more family friendly work.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Her partners hours are also a problem. Why does she need to change her hours so she can be at home and cook tea. He could also look for more family friendly work.

Because it's not his child and currently they don't live together?
    What about the child's father - is he around and able to help at all?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options

Doesn't sound like they've reached partner stage yet annandale - the father of the child is elsewhere in the country.

If she can offer 2 days in return for 2 days that would be 2/3 of your problem solved. And as has been mentioned, attempting to locate a responsible older teen for the third day sounds like a goer. I used to do that for my neighbour so if she has any neighbours with kids the appropriate age they'll probably be up for a bit of pocket money! Neighbours' kids are good too because they might have parents nearby at home as back up if something does crop up.
  • TunaFish
    Options
    There is almost certainly a facebook or WhatsApp group for mums at the school, that could be a good place to start, or she could speak to the school and see if they know of any parents who might be happy to help.

She'll have to offer something in return obviously.

Why is the previous arrangement coming to an end?

Those hours sound like hospital or care home shifts, if its a hospital they often have nurseries or school clubs close by that cater to the unsocial hours.

I will mention the facebook group and whatsapp thing to her and see if she knows of anything.

Yes you are right the hours are hospital related.

The current child minders (family member) circumstances have changed meaning they are not able to continue. .
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    TunaFish wrote: »
    I will mention the facebook group and whatsapp thing to her and see if she knows of anything.

Yes you are right the hours are hospital related.

The current child minders (family member) circumstances have changed meaning they are not able to continue. .

If its a hospital there will be a limit to how much they can change, she may be able to swap to 5 short shifts instead of 3 long but they will still be early starts or late finishes.

There will be lots of other parents working there and using childcare though so she should ask around and see what they're doing. They won't all be relying on family.
  • TunaFish
    TunaFish Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2018 at 9:05PM
    Options

Lol I cook for myself, wash, iron and clean my own house, plus I often do the hoovering and cleaning at her home as well when I am around there. We cook each other meals when we are together.

Unfortunately, I also have a mortgage to keep on top of.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you considered something like an Au Pair?
  • Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suggest your gf speak to some other mums she knows at the school to see if any of them would be interested to come to some arrangement.

If your girlfriend cannot find suitable childcare, then the only changes can be made with her job/career I'm afraid. That might mean making a change of job for a , if her current employer is not able to do different shifts, or part time hours. She has to make her work and her childcare balance at this point in her life. I do sympathise, I had to do the same when I was a single parent bringing up my son.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure