Confusion over ISA bonus limit

Options
Hi there - this is my first post on the forum.

I have some confusion with £250,000 cap/limit that is on the ISA.

We are first time buyers who have successfully bought a house valued (sale price) at £250,000. However, we purchased the house for £260,000 after bidding with the sellers.

On the government websites, it uses the word 'worth' instead of 'value' or 'purchase price'. Going by the meaning of the words used, I would say the house is 'worth' £250,000.

The solicitor and mortgage adviser think we are not liable to receive the bonus since we paid more than £250,000, yet the bank (Halifax) think we are allowed to receive the government bonus.

What are your opinions?

Cheers!

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless you were buying in London where the limit is £450k, you will not get the bonus. The price is whatever you paid for it, in this case £260k.

What is the maximum that my property can cost to qualify for a government bonus?
    To qualify for a government bonus, the property you are buying must have a price of £250,000 or less (or a higher price limit of £450,000 in London) and you must be a first time buyer.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cogrady wrote: »
    On the government websites, it uses the word 'worth' instead of 'value' or 'purchase price'.
    I don't know which government websites you're referring to but the quote by the previous poster is from the official FAQ at https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/faq/, and clause 7.5 of the even-more-definitive detailed scheme rules does clearly spell out a requirement that
    the Purchase Price for the Eligible Interest in Land is:
    (1) if the Eligible Interest in Land is situated in London, not more than £450,000; or
    (2) if the Eligible Interest in Land is situated outside London, not more than £250,000.
    So, unfortunately not much scope for contradictory opinions in the face of facts like these I'm afraid....
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The HTB ISA limit is 250k outside London so if you paid more no bonus.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Should have bought the carpets & curtains etc for £10k...
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Should have bought the carpets & curtains etc for £10k...

I doubt a reputable solicitor would want to participate in a transaction that overvalued the chattels.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport