What speed do I need

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
6 replies 913 views
robtirobti Forumite
183 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi I am currently on virgin 200, but now the last of 5he kids have left home and all that’s left is me streaming and web browsing, so watch appletv,Netflix and amazon all in 4K, So what speed do you think I can get away with, I have to stay with virgin as my adsl is 2mbs max ?
Thanks

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What about fibre? The minimum generally recommended for UHD streaming is 25Mbps so a decent fibre connection or Virgin 50Mbps would do.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As previous poster said, 50MB should be sufficient.
  • AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    robti wrote: »
    Hi I am currently on virgin 200, but now the last of 5he kids have left home and all that’s left is me streaming and web browsing, so watch appletv,Netflix and amazon all in 4K, So what speed do you think I can get away with, I have to stay with virgin as my adsl is 2mbs max ?
    Thanks

Don't understand this: "I have to stay with virgin as my adsl is 2mbs max ?"

Depends on the quality of what you are streaming, SD, HD, etc. Netflix for example recommends 3.0 Megabits per second for SD quality so if that's true in that case you can get away with regular broadband and fibre broadband would be overkill.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

However my problem with regular broadband was slowdown and dropping out. So I now have up to 35 MBPS fibre broadband without any problems at all. I stream Netflix, NowTV and Plusnet TV extra channels, YouTube, Amazon Prime and Deezer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Anthorn wrote: »

Depends on the quality of what you are streaming, SD, HD, etc. Netflix for example recommends 3.0 Megabits per second for SD quality so if that's true in that case you can get away with regular broadband and fibre broadband would be overkill.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

However my problem with regular broadband was slowdown and dropping out. So I now have up to 35 MBPS fibre broadband without any problems at all. I stream Netflix, NowTV and Plusnet TV extra channels, YouTube, Amazon Prime and Deezer.

I'm guessing you missed the 4K reference the OP made :)
  • AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you missed the 4K reference the OP made :)

No: I linked to the Netflix help page about recommended speeds which lists all the steaming services Netflix offers. In short it was an example. Did you miss that? :p

These days though the label "4K" is almost obsolete. On all three services specified by the OP you're more likely to find "HDR".
  • takmantakman
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No: I linked to the Netflix help page about recommended speeds which lists all the steaming services Netflix offers. In short it was an example. Did you miss that? :p

So why did you say you don't understand why they have to stay with virgin when the OP clearly want's to stream 4K content. Saying they might be able to stream SD content on Netflix with ADSL isn't very helpful to them.

These days though the label "4K" is almost obsolete. On all three services specified by the OP you're more likely to find "HDR".

You obviously don't understand the difference between 4K and HDR, they are not interchangeable terms and both mean different things. 4K is the resolution which is what affects the bandwidth required to stream it.

"35MBPS" is 280Mbps which seems like overkill if your just streaming you should go back to ADSL like you suggested ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides