Evicting family members.

Hi,

I am a homeowner and have a joint mortgage with my wife on my house. A few months ago, I agreed that my wifes sister, husband & 3 children could move in with us while they saved for a deposit on a house.

Last week, my wife informed me that she is leaving me and is moving out with her sister and family. I have spoken to a friend and found out that my wife and her sister have been telling my friends to convince me to sell the house and give them half. This is something I am unwilling to do.

As my wifes sister has lived in my house for a minimal rent (£100\month) while seemingly plotting to get at my possessions\finances, I want them out of my house as soon as possible.

I am aware that it will be difficult to stop my wife living in the house as she is a co-owner but could someone advise me the best course of action to evict my wife's sister and her family please?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am aware that it will be difficult to stop my wife living in the house as she is a co-owner but could someone advise me the best course of action to evict my wife's sister and her family please?

You can't. At least not easily. Your wife has as much right to live in the property as you do. She also has the right to invite guests.

Easiest way would be for you to stay put, eventually they will tire of you and move out.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    She's already told you she's moving out, just play the long game with the separation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sister gets tired of her when she and her husband get their act together and get a place of their own, who wants a new family home with the sister in the background? Would you take your wife back?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    monkeypeas wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a homeowner and have a joint mortgage with my wife on my house. A few months ago, I agreed that my wifes sister, husband & 3 children could move in with us while they saved for a deposit on a house.

Last week, my wife informed me that she is leaving me and is moving out with her sister and family. I have spoken to a friend and found out that my wife and her sister have been telling my friends to convince me to sell the house and give them half. This is something I am unwilling to do.

Depending on how long you've been living together and married, the starting point in a divorce (assuming it's not classed as a short marriage) will be 50/50, so despite being unwilling this may become unavoidable.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • I will not take my wife back. As far as I am concerned the marriage is over.
  • Just to clarify, I am aware that I cannot evict my wife and am not asking this.

My question is how do I evict my wife’s sister, husband and children.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just to clarify, I am aware that I cannot evict my wife and am not asking this.

As Sivercar has said, you can't... your wife has the right to have guests in her home.
    Your wish not to does not trump that.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • monkeypeas wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I am aware that I cannot evict my wife and am not asking this.

I know it is not the answer that you want, but has already been explained, you cannot. They are guests of your wife, and you cannot "evict" them.

What a grim situation. Good luck.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

As my wifes sister has lived in my house for a minimal rent (£100\month) while seemingly plotting to get at my possessions\finances, I want them out of my house as soon as possible.

Did you own the house before your marriage? How long have you been married for?
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Shes moving out. Why do you want to evict them? She has told you they are leaving as well
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you sure they want you to sell up? If I had my paranoid head on I would think that they are hoping you will move out or be aggressive so they can persuade the police to make you move out. Then you will land up paying a mortgage for a property you can't use & won't be able to sell.

Get it on the market & make sure you use an estate agent that will always do accompanied viewings, make that a part of your contract.

Still with my paranoid head on - she knew she was leaving you when she had her family move in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure