Any help available ? and a question about death certificate

Options

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Options
    There was no will.No estate. His belongings were I presume disposed of by his gf at the time. He didn't have a car. I don't know where he was working. he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been out of work for a while and had only just started working again. It's all a very long complicated story which I don't really want to go in to. He may have had some money in his bank account but I presume the gf will have had that.
    I need a copy of the death certificate to send to his family -he wasn't British. And I presume one for myself. I won't need more than that I don't think.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    I'm sorry you are having such a horrible time.

This should give you hope (and I trust help): https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/unmarried-mother-wins-supreme-court-battle-to-receive-widowed-parents-benefit-a3923781.html

Unfortunately that's no help because

a. It was under NI law and not English/Welsh law
    b. It was the death of her partner, not ex partner
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As for grants, was he / are you in any kind of profession, or even in a trade union?

For example, if he worked in the pub trade, the FVLA might offer a hardship grant. I know my union does similar. It's just a random example.

Could be worth talking to the children's school(s) to see if they know of anything.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's no help because

a. It was under NI law and not English/Welsh law
    b. It was the death of her partner, not ex partner

It's a ruling of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, which covers Scotland, England and Wales as well a NI - and the ruling focuses on the needs of the children, not the (ex) partner, so with any luck...
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    As for grants, was he / are you in any kind of profession, or even in a trade union?

For example, if he worked in the pub trade, the FVLA might offer a hardship grant. I know my union does similar. It's just a random example.

Could be worth talking to the children's school(s) to see if they know of anything.
    He was a long distance lorry driver, not in a union. I'm currently on ESA and not working so not in any unions either.
    The school has been rather unhelpful-their view seems to be that as he didn't live with us and we had problems with him in the past(he had alcohol problems) then the children shouldn't really need to grieve. We didn't get any kind of acknowledgement, not even a card. As my children have been attending that school since 1999, I feel let down by them. It's a silly thing to be upset by I know as it makes no practical difference to anything but a card would have been nice.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    Very unhelpful of the school, very sad. They forget that he was the children's father and they will mourn his death, also that these children have had to put up with such problems re his behaviour etc at such an early age.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Thank you. I wasn't aware death certificates had to be paid for as the interim ones were given to me free. It may only be £4 per certificate but it adds up.

Don't buy any yet, the coroner's interim ones are sufficient. Sounds like you got a few in case you're required to do anything that might need one.

We wrapped up FiL's whole estate with only those, house sale, insurance payouts, everything. After the inquest the coroner said we could obtain 'proper' ones from the registry office but no point, no-one needs to see one now!

Don't spend money you can't afford on something you haven't established you even need. Not one single organisation questioned the fact that we were sending coroner's interim ones.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Very unhelpful of the school, very sad. They forget that he was the children's father and they will mourn his death, also that these children have had to put up with such problems re his behaviour etc at such an early age.

Yes exactly. No matter how much of a d*ck he was sometimes he really did love the kids and they loved him.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Don't buy any yet, the coroner's interim ones are sufficient. Sounds like you got a few in case you're required to do anything that might need one.

We wrapped up FiL's whole estate with only those, house sale, insurance payouts, everything. After the inquest the coroner said we could obtain 'proper' ones from the registry office but no point, no-one needs to see one now!

Don't spend money you can't afford on something you haven't established you even need. Not one single organisation questioned the fact that we were sending coroner's interim ones.
    Thank you, good to know. The only people who have questioned it were HMRC so I sent the coroner's details to them and told them to speak to the coroner direct.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you eligible for a budgeting loan?

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories