» »

Plusnet customers wrongly charged twice for £200 offer - MSE News

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Plusnet customers wrongly charged twice for £200 offer - MSE News

edited 21 September 2018 at 9:21PM in Broadband & Internet Access
17 replies 3.2K views
MSE_NaomiMSE_Naomi MSE Staff
419 posts
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 21 September 2018 at 9:21PM in Broadband & Internet Access
More than 1,000 Plusnet customers have been billed twice for a £200 line rental saver offer, while others were wrongly told they'd been charged for contracts they'd already cancelled, after the firm introduced a new billing system...
Read the full story:
'Plusnet customers wrongly charged twice for £200 offer'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• gsmlnxgsmlnx Forumite
    1.7K posts
    From the MSE Weekly newsletter
    New. Trick to stick with BT & save up to £420/yr on 10Mb avg speed b'band. We know many like a big name such as BT, so we've blagged a Plusnet 1yr b'band & line deal which is the cheapest standard speed broadband today. While a different brand name

Are MSE going to remove this deal from their web pages ?
  • My bill this month hasn't had the discount applied, looking online it appears there are lots of problems with their new billing. Tried to call but the wait times are over 30 minutes so have contacted via twitter. I'm only going to be about £9 out of pocket if it doesn't get sorted in time but I'm disappointed this has happened as I've been with Plusnet for years and have been happy with the service.
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I paid for line rental saver at the start of July and took out a contract for Fibre broadband and weekend call package. On my August bill, they have charged me for both the call package and the line rental twice (despite having line rental saver, so have effectively paid 3 times) and they have done the same again on the August bill. I have been waiting for a refund for almost 4 weeks now and still seems to be no closer to a resolution.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • MSE late to post news yet again:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5894134

Anyway.

I reported the issue on 07/09/18 and asked for the DD due to be collected on 11/09/18 to be corrected, it was not so the incorrect amount was debited, i.e. LRS now paid twice. I was promised a refund within ten days they did not say working days or not so assumed would be around the 21/09/18. 20/09/18 evening I get a e-mail stating it will be at least another week at least. Why?

Yet the MSE article states next Monday 24/09/18 and there was no phone number to contact them in the e-mail as MSE state there should have been.

All in all very disappointed with PN. Will have no hesitation to moving elsewhere when my contract minimum term ends.
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I've been with Plusnet about 3 years. Their customer service is over-rated in my opinion. Decent enough once you get through, but call waiting times are 15 minutes plus, pretty much all-day every-day. I've stuck with them at renewal because they've been competitive price-wise, but really don't see how they score so highly on customer service.
  • I contacted them on online chat the other day and said that it had caused me unnecessary inconvenience. Becoming a Dad and also in the process of trying to purchase a house they just simply sent an email and it was lucky that I didn't put too much of my funds into my savings otherwise it could have made me overdrawn.

After 'asking' for some form of discount they was reluctant at first as they couldn't deduct the line rental saver or anytime calls.

After some negotiation they offered to give me BT Sport for 1 month free.
  • Very disappointed to discover Plusnet have adopted common supplier tactic of denying they have a problem. I took out new fibre contract mid-August. Few days later August invoice omitted the agreed discount. Told I should wait for a credit after DD had processed. Nothing received to date. September invoice arrived with broadband charged twice - at different rates.

Plusnet demanded sight of my bank statement to prove August credit not received, and they would not/could not correct the Septemebr DD before payment. Have made written complaint to their Chief Operating Officer, and Santander have helpfully rejected/cancelled the September DD. Await Plusnet response 'within the next 10 days'!
    The sums involved are not Earth shattering - the big disappointment is that they seem to have fallen off their service 'perch' . Happy to Help indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Very disappointed to discover Plusnet have adopted common supplier tactic of denying they have a problem. I took out new fibre contract mid-August. Few days later August invoice omitted the agreed discount. Told I should wait for a credit after DD had processed. Nothing received to date. September invoice arrived with broadband charged twice - at different rates.

Plusnet demanded sight of my bank statement to prove August credit not received, and they would not/could not correct the Septemebr DD before payment. Have made written complaint to their Chief Operating Officer, and Santander have helpfully rejected/cancelled the September DD. Await Plusnet response 'within the next 10 days'!
    The sums involved are not Earth shattering - the big disappointment is that they seem to have fallen off their service 'perch' . Happy to Help indeed.

Cancelling the DD has potentially just caused you big problems.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cancelling the DD has potentially just caused you big problems.
    May not cause problems - the new PN billing system is a mess, with double charging being a relatively common issue - the PN reps themselves on the PN forums have even advised customers to use the DD guarantee to get overpayments back!!!
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    May not cause problems - the new PN billing system is a mess, with double charging being a relatively common issue - the PN reps themselves on the PN forums have even advised customers to use the DD guarantee to get overpayments back!!!

I have tried to use the DD guarantee and Nationwide wouldn’t invoke it. Apparently it doesn’t cover duplicate payments. I thought that was exactly what it was for...
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j