We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC Advance telephone banking?

Options
Hi, a quickie question - with this account is there any way of registering for telephone banking without physically speaking to an agent please?

I've tried searching but can't see any way of doing it except speaking.

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Hi, a quickie question - with this account is there any way of registering for telephone banking without physically speaking to an agent please?

I've tried searching but can't see any way of doing it except speaking.

You can go into branch with ID. But realistically, why do you want to register for telephone banking without speaking to an agent over the telephone?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Because the person whose account it is absolutely hates talking to strangers on the phone. She doesn't even want TB but that has to be set up before you can register for Internet Banking!
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Because the person whose account it is absolutely hates talking to strangers on the phone. She doesn't even want TB but that has to be set up before you can register for Internet Banking!

Unfortunately as you've rightly noticed, you need to register for telephone banking and get your security number before you are able to register for internet banking. Like your friend, I also have never used (and will never use) telephone banking and find it a pain that you need to do this to use online banking.

The two ways to get issued with this number are to call a customer support agent where upon verifying your details they pass you to an automated system where you set up your security details. The other option is to visit a branch with ID, and they will allow you to set it up on their computer systems - this is how I did mine as I didn't feel like waiting on hold for ages to talk to someone (I have a branch 5 mins walk from my house). Either way involves having to identify yourself to a member of HSBC staff before they will provide access, which is standard account security practice for any bank.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately as you've rightly noticed, you need to register for telephone banking and get your security number before you are able to register for internet banking. Like your friend, I also have never used (and will never use) telephone banking and find it a pain that you need to do this to use online banking.

The two ways to get issued with this number are to call a customer support agent where upon verifying your details they pass you to an automated system where you set up your security details. The other option is to visit a branch with ID, and they will allow you to set it up on their computer systems - this is how I did mine as I didn't feel like waiting on hold for ages to talk to someone (I have a branch 5 mins walk from my house). Either way involves having to identify yourself to a member of HSBC staff before they will provide access, which is standard account security practice for any bank.

Got to disagree with the last sentence.
    Accounts and online banking set up without a phone call or branch visit. Lloyds, Santander, Halifax, BOS, Nat West, Nationwide, TSB, Tesco.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure