Fibre Broadband

Options
Hi, wondering if anyone can advise?

I currently have Virgin fibre broadband which comes to the house through an underground fibre optic cable.

I recently tried to switch to Vodafone fibre and they wanted to connect it through a standard copper telephone wire.

Is this right?

I feel this is a breech of trade descriptions...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Most ‘fibre’ broadband is fibre to the cabinet and copper from there to the house. This includes Virgin who mainly use co-ax between the cab and the house, although they also have some full Fibre to the Premises.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 September 2018 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Yes it's right, Virgin own their own infrastructure. Fibre is optical until the green cabinet outside and then via the copper pair phone line to the property unless you can get FTTP which is optical all the way to the property.
    I feel this is a breech of trade descriptions...
    Even for this forum that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read. And the word is spelt "breach"
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    It is a mis-description. You never had fibre - although Virgin gave you faster BB by using co-ax copper than the xDSL kludge that the other carriers used via Openreach.

For the bulk of users, fibre was always upstream of their own local loop connection, how far away depended how much you paid. Swapping from VM to Voda is shooting yourself in the foot, as you’re leaving the inherently faster network for a slower one.

As for trades descriptions. I complained to the ASA about ‘fibre’ being a blatant misdescription over 10 years ago. They said it was OK - only now having ‘concerns’. They reap what they sow!
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was under the understanding that virgin was fibre to a a central box then co-ax to the property.

Vodafone are using the BT network which offers FTTC or FTTP depending which are available, FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is the most common and is fibre to the green cabinet and then copper from there to the property, FTTP (Fibre to the property) is fibre direct to the property but only a few areas of country have this enabled at the moment though BT are gradually installing more FTTP.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    It is a mis-description. You never had fibre - although Virgin gave you faster BB by using co-ax copper than the xDSL kludge that the other carriers used via Openreach.
    You have stated this before if that is the case why do all Virgins adverts state that their broadband packages are fibre optic and always have done?

Is that a mis-description and should be reported?
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Virgins advertising was challenged by other ISP’s some years ago but it wasn’t upheld, the rationale being that the majority of the connection was fibre. Roll on to FTTC and the same rationale means that FTTC could be advertised as fibre in the same way that Virgins hybrid fibre was/is. Providers like Hyperoptic and Gigaclear are challenging it again, but Hyperoptic for example provide Fibre to the Basement in a block of flats, and then copper (CAT6) to the individual homes. That doesn’t cause a loss of speed, but depending on what the definition of ‘home’ is, perhaps that shouldn’t be called fibre either.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vodafone upload will be faster than virgin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts