PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How did you manage to buy your house?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    It's worth pointing out that home ownership isn't necessarily seen as goal as such in many countries, Germany being the obvious example, where renting has always been fairly common.

I have never wished to get a mortgage - I saw that as 25 year tie and never wanted to comdemn myself to be a wage slave, so I rented in an area while working in an area I could never afford to buy. By doing this over around 12 years in a pretty well paid job, my savings / deposit was actually enough to buy a house outright mortgage free elsewhere.

One thing I would suggest is that you look at one of those charts where they present home prices vs. wage ratios. You can find some really nice areas where houses are affordable, and in decent areas too.

So it can be doable if you save up over the long term and are prepared to relocate if needed, I think the key is to try to build up as much as a pot as possible. I know that will not be easy for many people.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 September 2018 at 11:46AM
    Options
    oooooooooo
  • VintageBelle
    Options
    Wow I'm completely overwhelmed by the responses. I hadn't managed to get on here since writing the post and reading what people have written (I haven't managed to read them all yet as my lunch hour is soon up) is really encouraging.

I might be able to get my other half on board but he's the type of bloke who's just content having a roof over his head regardless of who owns it.

I am hoping for a finance boost work wise next year so fingers crossed I can save more. I don't live very extravagantly but sadly have very little to save after bills etc have gone out.

I'm trying to declutter and get rid of a lot of my stuff (bit of a hoarder) and in the process try and make a little bit of extra cash from that. It will also seriously help with having to move stuff from one place to another at some point.

It feels like there is still hope for me and others who are in similar situations.

Thank you for the responses. :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    The obvious one would be for home owners to stop this cycle of pretending that because a house is a year older it's automatically worth x% more but that's never going to happen. Stop the nimby / oldiwonk obsession with blocking house building, particularly large scale developments so houses become more available thus dropping prices.
    I think we all need to be careful about generalising and stereotyping.

In my village, we have a Community Trust, set up with the express intention of building affordable homes to rent and buy. At the inaugural meeting, I don't recall therebeing anyone under about 40 in the room. Now we have a committee, there's no one under 50 on that, and all the main movers and shakers are retired people.

I'm not saying my experience is typical, because there are obviously places, all to easy to spot in the MSM, where a desire to protect is much stronger than a desire to promote growth and new life. There's also a world of difference between something that benefits multi-million pound interests and one where the profit motive is removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure