How do I obtain a court order to see my daughter?

My ex and I have been split for about 1 1/2
We have a beautiful 3 year old daughter
I have been paying CSA and seeing her every Wednesday and she has been staying at mine every other weekend.
Due to a disagreement over additional monthly fees (clubs she signed my daughter up to without consulting me) she has stated that I cannot see my daughter. This has happened a number of times in the past where she demands something from me, I decline and she had a period of time where she will not let me see my daughter.
Would a court order protect me from this erratic behaviour moving forward?


  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A court order is towards the last resort in the process.

    The above explains the path expected to be taken before court orders are generally looked at.
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Very much annoys me when women behave like this, using the child as a pawn.
  • Sadly, even if you get a Court Order, it won't stop your ex playing this game.
  • edmond
    edmond Posts: 292
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't expect a court order would stop her from her playing games, I am just trying to put something in place which protects me, and more importantly means I can see my daughter.
  • I went down this route as my ex was also frustrating contact, I got a Joint Residency Order and that has pretty much sorted out the silly games.

    It won't force your ex to comply but if she doesn't then the court can take action, the threat of that alone should focus minds.

    But as discussed, you should look at mediation first, if only so you can sit in front of the judge and say you were willing to go to mediation but your ex wasn't!
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A court order does make it harder for your ex to behave like this without consequences, although in some cases you might have to apply back to enforce the order before she gets the message.

    It's worth your while to see a solicitor and get them to write to her first, then apply fro mediation, before you apply to the court.

    If you have to apply, be clear that your concerns is to ensure that contact is regular and stable for your daughter.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards