DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I thought MBNA were already part of Lloyds? I thought Lloyds took them over a while ago.

MBNA Corporation was a bank holding company and parent company of wholly owned subsidiary MBNA America Bank, N.A., headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, prior to being acquired by Bank of America in 2006. In December 2016, UK-based Lloyds Banking Group purchased MBNA from Bank of America for £1.9 billion.

Courtesy of Google.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi all just after some advice on how to deal with one of my creditors. I am self managing and have made 3 months of token payments. Tesco bank are still adding a large amount of interest on my CC. I am due to start making larger payments from January to all my creditors. The others have all been great and very understanding except tesco bank. Should I write and ask them again to freeze interest or do I just have to live with it and hope they stop in the future? It is very annoying as my debt will grow significantly with the payments I am offering if they keep adding interest. I am also quite annoyed with the letters they keep sending. You can clearly see through the window on the envelope that they are from tesco bank collections department. Surely these should be sent a little more discreetly? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Hi Time to Change,

I'm also a newbie but, from what I've read on here, once an account is defaulted the charges will stop. No harm in asking though, perhaps reiterate that you are paying, not hiding and want to make inroads into what you owe.

Re. the indiscreet post - I followed advice and set up a designated email for all DMP correspondence. Not sure if it would work but might be an option to reduce frequency of letters?

All the best on your journey to debt freedom!
    Ethel x
    LBM ~ August 2018
    Debts at highest ~ c.52k
    The only way is down!
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    [QUOTE=Time_To_Change;75213246......._I_am_self_managing_and_have_made_3_months_of_token_payments._Tesco_bank_are_still_adding_a_large_amount_of_interest_on_my_CC.__Should_I_write_and_ask_them_again_to_freeze_interest_or_do_I_just_have_to_live_with_it_and_hope_they_stop_in_the_future?_It_is_very_annoying_as_my_debt_will_grow_significantly_with_the_payments_I_am_offering_if_they_keep_adding_interest.[/QUOTE]

There's no harm in writing as E&E suggests - but if they ignore your request then I wouldn't up your payments to them. Yes, in the short term they may keep lumping on interest, but eventually they'll either default or sell the debt on and you'll probably find dealing with a DCA much easier. Good news re the rest though.
  • biker_rob
    biker_rob Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 December 2018 at 10:46PM
    Thanks to Sourcrates and all of the helpful folk in this thread. I'm so pleased I happened across this thread all those months ago. Your advice and help has been a godsend :)

I've had two replies this week. Cap 1 have accepted my offer and I have to say have been brilliant sending all the info I need and my account will default soon, which is what I wanted to hear. MBNA have also accepted my offer and that one has already defaulted. With Tesco already defaulted (and now with DCA) that's 3 out of 5 so things are going well. Still waiting from other 3 creditors to accept my offer. Oh well, the longer they take the longer they'll have to wait for the payments to start. I've not made any token payments to any of them.

I wanted to start the DMP for my creditors all at the same time but I'm happy to get the payments going to Cap 1 first as it's the lowest payment of the lot. I've sent them a letter to that effect.

EDiT: After checking my post, the DCA for Tesco has accepted my offer of payment. Brilliant.

Getting there!

Have a great xmas and new year DMP'ers :beer:
    LBM: August 2018
    Self-managed DMP started: Jan 2019
    Original Debt Jan 2019: £22,469
    Current (April 2024) Debt: £11,562
  • Quick question. Whilst I know every one is different and have different commitments......what would you consider is a reasonable amount as an emergency fund?

Started 2019 with £22,5000 debt - March 2021 Debt free - stick with it people I did and now never felt better
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Quick question. Whilst I know every one is different and have different commitments......what would you consider is a reasonable amount as an emergency fund?

Around £700 to £1000 pounds if you can.

You need to be able to replace say a washing machine and/or fridge freezer, should yours fail.

And it’s always handy to keep an amount of cash available, just in case.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Great thank you that helps a lot.

Merry Christmas and happy New year Sourcrates and everyone else in DMP and DMP advice land.

Started 2019 with £22,5000 debt - March 2021 Debt free - stick with it people I did and now never felt better
  • Just popping in to wish all the lovely posters on here a very Happy Christmas however or wherever you plan to spend it:beer::xmastree::santa2:.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Around £700 to £1000 pounds if you can.

You need to be able to replace say a washing machine and/or fridge freezer, should yours fail.

And it’s always handy to keep an amount of cash available, just in case.

\Whern does Emergancy fund become savings medium term.
    I have an opportunity to continue with help2save though as I approach Emergancy fund numbers I think I could continue past 700 or 1k very soon.
    Is it recommenced that I put savings fund balance into separate account and re start saving for medium term larger number maybe home repairs or possibly car deposit in 2-3 years.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback