DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• BeingDebtFreeStartsHere
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi BSFSH,

I received two letters for my debts bought by PRAt but didn't have time to read them properly or set anything up as I was going away.. I have just read them both, one states the normal set up a payment plan.. the other states set up a payment plan but this debt is unenforceable... :D RESULT.. this was a loan used to consolidate and is probably my smallest debt, but I'm not paying any UE debts so this can go onto that pile...

Takes my debt down from the original £60062 to £25759.54...

Make sure you read your letters properly...

I CCA'ed all my credit cards but not my loan.. it didn't show on my credit report as Natsvest removed it because I kept complaining they didn't update the balance..

Happy Puzz. xx

Puzz I am soooo chuffed for you!! :D That is a fantastic result :beer:

I will go and check my letters VERY carefully - am pretty sure that my 2 debts are enforceable however it is most definitely worth checking.....................

Take care,

BDFSH x
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Susie12345 wrote: »
    Hi
    I think I might just wait a few months and then contact step change to set up dmp. Would this be acceptable?
    I don't know what amount would be expected for dmp. I was hoping they would accept £100 a month for the first 6 months and then £200 a month after but I have 11 creditors and debt of £14000 ( I'm really ashamed of this but I know it's all my fault). So I don't know if they will say that it's not enough.
    I don't really know what I should be expecting with regards to how much I should be paying monthly?

The amount you should be paying is based on what you can afford. So SC will want to review that with you by going through all your income and expenses which will then give them an amount left (assuming there is any) which can then be distributed to your creditors. If you don't want to speak with SC just yet then go on their website and use their debt remendy tool, or go over to the NEDCAB site who also have a DMP calculator. That will give you an indication of how much money is available to pay your creditors.

As sourcrates has mentioned - SC will not want you to continue on tokens for much longer. But if your I&E shows you can afford to pay £200 per month, then that puts you in the realms of around a 5 - 6 year DMP. If you are happy with that - then I'd go for it. Just give SC a call :)
  • zoec35
    Options
    Hi
    Just starting to set up my DMP self managed, i am going through and doing the budget do i include my husbands salary if its a dmp just for myself?
  • Suseka97
    edited 11 March 2019 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Thank you so much. I shall do this.
    In terms of the creditor's contacting Step Change. Are they able to contact Step Change with the reference we have gave them and find out we haven't returned the DMP forms yet? I'm just abit nervous and curious how i am going to manage to keep them all at bay for 6 months whilst saving the EF.
    Thanks again.

Just because you've provided a reference, that isn't giving them (or currently SC) permission to discuss your personal affairs with 3rd parties. That can only happen when you've signed the paperwork giving SC authority to contact your creditors on your behalf (and vica versa).

So just stick with the plan and if your creditors start to get a bit twitchy - you can always say that you've got a big repair bill (car, boiler etc.) that needs paying which is why the DMP is slightly delayed.

In reality I don't think you'll have any problems, because the DMP wheels turn slowly as does the whole process of debt collection, due to the sheer number of people in this situation. As the saying goes...'you are not alone...' :)
  • lisapug
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the site and admire you for being open about your debts. Ive had debts for some 30 years and they have affected my self confidence. I had 6 debts and thanks to a friend who really cared, have got them down to 4. We found one backed away when asked for proof and another took a discounted payment.

I arranged myself getting off SC with 3 debts and my creditors were very helpful with this.
    But I am being taken to court by the fourth for less than 2000 but I think I have a case because the original proof credit agreement has not date, letter head and creditor signature. Also there are is no credit/debit history for 4 years. But I'm thinking about seeing if they will take a monthly payment as I'm worried about going to court and losing and thus more costs.
    Thanks again for yours and other posts on here as they make me feel much better about it all.
    Lisapug
  • Suseka97
    Options
    zoec35 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just starting to set up my DMP self managed, i am going through and doing the budget do i include my husbands salary if its a dmp just for myself?

You would need to include your husbands contribution to the household costs, it's much easier than trying to work out which expenses you pay for, versus those he might pay for - or how much percentage of expenses you share. If that makes sense.
  • Suseka97
    Options
    lisapug wrote: »
    I arranged myself getting off SC with 3 debts and my creditors were very helpful with this.
    But I am being taken to court by the fourth for less than 2000 but I think I have a case because the original proof credit agreement has not date, letter head and creditor signature. Also there are is no credit/debit history for 4 years. But I'm thinking about seeing if they will take a monthly payment as I'm worried about going to court and losing and thus more costs.
    Thanks again for yours and other posts on here as they make me feel much better about it all. Lisapug

Hello Lisapug (love that username :))

Have to say that's a difficult call, but maybe someone will come along with more legal knowledge to help. We have a couple of people on here who know about this type of thing. I'd say if you think you have a strong case and can get that verified - you might be able to challenge that fourth creditor/or DCA. What constitutes an enforceable debt is quite complex.

If you can get that checked - then you'll know where you stand and if it does prove to be enforceable, then you hopefully have time to agree a payment plan and avoid a court judgement.
  • Marble030509
    Options
    Thanks so much Suseka.

In terms of re-contacting SC. Do I just do that in 6 months by returning the forms or should I keep them in the loop during the 6 months on what I plan on doing?
  • Suseka97
    Options
    Thanks so much Suseka.
    In terms of re-contacting SC. Do I just do that in 6 months by returning the forms or should I keep them in the loop during the 6 months on what I plan on doing?

if it were me I'd contact SC and let them know that you're considering your options and will be back in touch in a few months time. You could say you've decided to build up an EF and intend to start in August and they may well tell you to hold onto the paperwork and send back when you are ready, or they may say that you'll need to start over again at that time.

The main thing is to keep your creditors onside by keeping them in the loop - and you've got that in hand already.
  • ChooseHappy
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread as I have so many questions, but this thread always seems safer than the wider board and so I'll try and start with less. I'm sorry for the length, I'm really struggling with anxiety this morning for the first time since taking on a DMP. I have been a long time lurker on this thread and have had a DMP since April 2013, with 3 years showing left to run. However, we're getting to the point now where defaults should be dropping off and we're keen to remortgage. I should have addressed this a bit sooner, but clearly the anxiety has been there, waiting to rear its head when I have to give this serious thought.

DH had 2 debts which we've discovered are unenforceable but continue to pay. It looks like his defaults will drop off in April and May.

I had 8 different debts though. Many defaults should drop off by August, but I have 4 with issues, I think.

1 & 2) I had 2 MBNA cards which have default markers of November and December this year. I wrote to them, using a template, saying that I informed them of my inability to pay back in March 2013 and so they were 'treating fairly' compared to someone who had made no effort to pay at all. They've just written back rejecting my complaint saying that they only needed to default once I hit three missed payments. I understand that, but it's still puts me at a disadvantage as the marker would have been 3 months if I'd made no effort to pay.

Is it worth appealing this decision?

3) I had a card with Creation finance which only passed to Lowell in 2017. At the time of the DMP starting, Creation reduced interest to 0.5% per month, which eventually become frozen. They never put a default marker on the account, or even an AP marker from what I could see. Lowell, however, still shows as 'up to date' but they have marked it with AP markers since they took over in 2017 - so if this debt doesn't drop off my file until 6 years after clearing it, it will be 2029! I wrote to Lowell, who I presumed would refer to Creation if necessary, but they've just written back saying they took it on in good faith and as far as they're concerned, they're correct. Again, I can appeal.

Question here is do I appeal straight to the Ombudsman or go back to Creation?

4) I had a Next Directory account which I cleared back in 2016. That is showing as Closed but I can see that also had AP markers on it until it was cleared.

Does that then mean that one negatively impacts my file until 2022 despite being cleared? Should I be writing to them to ask them to default it as well?

I'm a bit upset by the rejections as I had a simple chat with Barclaycard a few years ago and they couldn't have been nicer about adjusting the default date. I think I was expecting the same with the others.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback