DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sylvester6 wrote: »
    Thanks Suseka, I'll have a good look on their website.

I have just received a letter from 2 more accounts; one is enforceable but the other they have said they can't provide the paperwork so are not pursuing the debt at this time and the balance is £0 from £4200. Does this mean I just don't pay them? Don't want be too optimistic in case they find the paperwork. Thank you

That's interesting. Mine are UE but the statements I get still show the original balance. Maybe the DCA knows they will never locate paperwork and is therefore writing it off (by reducing the balance to zero). What I would do is keep that paperwork safe and for now, don't make any further payments and wait to see what their next move is. You may never hear from them again, or you may find they'll offer a hefty discount to encourage you to settle. It's a waiting game on that one now. So just focus on the enforceable ones :)
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Today I received a letter asking me to repay my overdraft as my old bank are closing all of our (unused) accounts. When we made the decision to enter a DMP and switched banks, I 'tidied up' and ensured that the overdraft was clear. Therefore this account is at zero, has been since 22nd October, and has not been used since
    The bank are asking me to pay £48.56 comprising of £42.56 overdraft interest accrued but not yet applied and an additional £6 charge. The OD charges for that account are £6 flat rate on OD balances up to £100. This was never exceeded and I have no idea what this amount is for.
    I've been online, while I still have access, and have downloaded a PDF showing account activity from 1st October until today. This still shows a zero balance as of 22nd October when the last charge was taken. Am I correct in saying that any amount owed should be reflected in the most current statement? Ethel x

I would have thought your statement would reflect any o/s overdraft and charges, yes - so I would write to them and make that point, perhaps provide a copy of the downloaded statement/s showing a zero balance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I ask what the legal position is, if any, on UE debts please?

I know when a CCA request is acknowledged as received by a creditor they usually temporarily suspend collection of payments. Is there a time limit on this non-collection? If the creditor then writes to say the debt is currently unenforceable because they can't supply any paperwork whatsoever are they in order to commence collection activity on the account or is collection automatically still suspended?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can I ask what the legal position is, if any, on UE debts please?

I know when a CCA request is acknowledged as received by a creditor they usually temporarily suspend collection of payments. Is there a time limit on this non-collection? If the creditor then writes to say the debt is currently unenforceable because they can't supply any paperwork whatsoever are they in order to commence collection activity on the account or is collection automatically still suspended?

Hi,

The account remains unenforcable until such time the creditor complies with your request, however long that may be.

They can still ask you to pay, but cannot use the courts to enforce their rights against you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • wanttobethrifty
    Options
    Fantastic feeling yesterday with a letter from Lowells. Started DMP in June last year, with 6 creditors, totalling around £20,000. All have defaulted, apart from Creation, with an outstanding balance of £3606.64. This was sold to LOWELLS on 21st/12/18, yesterday received a letter from LOWELLS offering 70% DISCOUNT, which amounts to a F&F of £1081.99 which can be paid in 3 instalments. VERY HAPPY BUNNY here. Didnt think i'd get a settlement offer so soon, but can now tick that balance off my list meaning now debt down to just under £13,000 in the space of 8 month.
    STEPCHANGE, excellent. DMP, best thing ever, and LOWELLS, thank you
  • Palpitations
    Options
    Hello all, what is the usual time to receive responses to the holding letter, I sent them all just over a week ago and had not one response yet still receiving letters and calls re missed payment?
    Many thanks
  • biker_rob
    Options
    Well, it's totally all go with my self managed DMP. One credit card debt passed to PRA who instantly accepted my offer of payment. Barclays have finally got back to me and accepted my offer too. I'd already made payments to 3 creditors in January, now it's all 5 by the end of February. It's gone well, I'm in control, life is good.

I'll review my DMP in 6 months.

I'm loving being the person in charge of this situation. I feel totally empowered.

Now to crack on with the rest of my life :)
    LBM: August 2018
    Self-managed DMP started: Jan 2019
    Original Debt Jan 2019: £22,469
    Current (April 2024) Debt: £11,562
  • biker_rob
    Options
    Hello all, what is the usual time to receive responses to the holding letter, I sent them all just over a week ago and had not one response yet still receiving letters and calls re missed payment?
    Many thanks

In my case it was anything between a few days to 2 months!

Hold firm, you're in control. Ignore the calls. I didn't make a single payment until I had confirmation of my offers from my creditors. It's taken me 5 months in total until my DMP is up and running. I have 5 creditors, everyone of them has accepted my offer of payment. At the end of the day, I'm offering payment rather than going the bankruptcy route where they wouldn't have received a penny. It's in their best interests to accept.

Just sit patiently would be my advice. If you get no replies in a few weeks, just write to them again. I re-sent the same letter 3 times to one creditor.
    LBM: August 2018
    Self-managed DMP started: Jan 2019
    Original Debt Jan 2019: £22,469
    Current (April 2024) Debt: £11,562
  • Queen_of_Swords
    Options
    Fantastic feeling yesterday with a letter from Lowells. Started DMP in June last year, with 6 creditors, totalling around £20,000. All have defaulted, apart from Creation, with an outstanding balance of £3606.64. This was sold to LOWELLS on 21st/12/18, yesterday received a letter from LOWELLS offering 70% DISCOUNT, which amounts to a F&F of £1081.99 which can be paid in 3 instalments. VERY HAPPY BUNNY here. Didnt think i'd get a settlement offer so soon, but can now tick that balance off my list meaning now debt down to just under £13,000 in the space of 8 month.
    STEPCHANGE, excellent. DMP, best thing ever, and LOWELLS, thank you
    That's fantastic! Well done! I am just at the very nervous beginning of a DMP, so hearing positive outcomes is very heartening! I am delighted for you! :T
    Woke up to reality 13/01/19
    4 creditors - £18170 :eek:
  • carly13
    Options
    Evening guys, I’m currently on a DMP and have recently come into some money. How do I go about offering a partial payment to come of my creditors. Do you email/phone them with an offer or do you just ask them for a figure?
    Appreciate any advice
    Carly x
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family