LPG delivery tanker size

Options
So we have had quotes in now ready to install the lpg central heating etc. The first company that came to do a site survey for the bulk tank, said they would not be able to deliver via bulk tanker as the property is so rural. I'm like ....Ohhhh !!!
So my question is how many of you are very rural and who delivers to you, and do they have smaller tankers, and how long have they supplied your lpg.
I need to know this is doable before i:undecided spend ££££ on having then system fitted

Comments

• FullForce
    Options
    So we have had quotes in now ready to install the lpg central heating etc. The first company that came to do a site survey for the bulk tank, said they would not be able to deliver via bulk tanker as the property is so rural. I'm like ....Ohhhh !!!
    So my question is how many of you are very rural and who delivers to you, and do they have smaller tankers, and how long have they supplied your lpg.
    I need to know this is doable before i:undecided spend ££££ on having then system fitted

Surely the question you should be asking yourself is can you find any supplier, preferably more than one, who would be willing to supply to your address.

Then ask the question as to how long they have been in business for, making such deliveries.

Where I live, who supplies me with lpg and since how long will not help you, sorry.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I do believe that the O/P is talking about LPG not oil :)
    Yup just realised and deleted it...:eek: please do same with your quoted. ;)
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Hi I appriciate it's my location etc that I need to factor into this, l was merely trying to determine how many of you using lpg have to have delivery via small tankers and how common they are. To say we are too rural seems a little strange, as most properties on lpg and indeed oil I would have though were rural, off the beaten track and out the way etc..

Yes I am referring to lpg, would have thought oil deliveries wouldn't be any different, it's still the same location. There are no issues siting the tank I have more than enough land to put it on with road access .
  • FullForce
    Options
    Hi I appriciate it's my location etc that I need to factor into this, l was merely trying to determine how many of you using lpg have to have delivery via small tankers and how common they are. To say we are too rural seems a little strange, as most properties on lpg and indeed oil I would have though were rural, off the beaten track and out the way etc..

Yes I am referring to lpg, would have thought oil deliveries wouldn't be any different, it's still the same location. There are no issues siting the tank I have more than enough land to put it on with road access .

If one could get an average sized removal lorry to your address, I'm sure there would be plenty of suppliers with an appropriate sized LPG lorry who could get to your address.

If the council can get their average sized dustcart to your address, I'm sure there would be plenty of suppliers with an appropriate sized LPG lorry who could get to your address.

Whether any supplier is prepared to deliver to your remote address, even if the access road is as wide as the M1 is, is another question.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I live in a rural area (Hampshire countryside) and have had LPG for the past 35 years. During that time we have had a few suppliers and filling the tank has never been an issue.

We live on a narrow country lane with no passing places. This means that the tanker has to park in the road whilst filling our tank. The regulations require the tanker driver to be in view of both the tank and his tanker while the filling operation is taking place.

The tanker my local independent supplier uses is the same sort of size as the 2500 gallon one used by oil companies and the people who empty our septic tank.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oil can be delivered in tiny pickup trucks with just a 1,000 litre tank on the flat bed. Similar to the smaller trucks used for local LPG cylinder delivery? They'd get to locations that proper 'tankers' could not.

The bulk LPG industry seem to refer to a 'mini bulker' which is a 4-wheeler and some 2.6 m wide (8ft 6in) for home deliveries which seem to be 15,000 litres of liquid or thereabouts.

Have you asked your near neighbours about their heating fuel deliveries?

You need to install the fuel source / work out what is possible before or at the same time as the heating system boiler.

Maybe consider alternatives that don't require the outlay for LPG and oil tank, concrete base, trench...

Air source heat pumps, would require a different design of a wet central heating system (underfloor or larger radiators, running at lower temperatures).
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Thanks, this is where I'm getting so puzzled, we had a full sized Henson's lorry with crane lift deliver all the tiles and timbers etc for the new roof without an issue.
    We have had a Travis Perkins lorry deliver all the insulation boards without an issue
    We have had 3 X 7cyd skips delivered well filled and taken away without issue.
    The refuge collection is an open pick up type van.
    And all the above was during the summer when our lane was quite overgrown (due to birds nesting and no-one being able to trim back)
    It is now mostly cut back so looks a hell of a lot wider than it did, so this guy saying access is not possible with the lane cut back makes me wonder what he would have thought during the summer.
    I have arranged another site survey tomorrow with a company that is more local so hopefully they will have a better idea.
    Cheers
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Maybe the company was just being picky, although I believe the final decision lies with the driver, and out of all the properties ours probably has the best access !!!
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    That was a Jewsons lorry by the way not a Henson's......predictive text lol
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where do you live (county)? You may well find that some of the smaller independents are more flexible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure