Santander Reviews?

Options
Looking for a new account where I can earn both interest on my balance as well as earn cashback for my bills etc. I've decided in recent weeks that I'm looking to purchase my first property and therefore I'm looking to set up an account for these bills.

I just opened a Club Lloyd's account a few months ago but they pay 1.5% on balances up to £5000 whereas Santander are offering the same up to £20,000?

Santander seems to fill the criteria for me, and I'm also considering the Zero credit card to replace my Halifax Clarity.

Santander is something I do see discussed on here quite often but I'm wondering what current customers think?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd almost certainly be better off keeping your cash (if you have any left after the property purchase!) where it is now, and go for Santander Lite...which offers the same cashback on your bills but for £4 less a month.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you can keep £20,000 in it then the 123 is good. Some of their customer facing staff are not the best informed but that seems pretty general nowadays. You can make more interest spreading your money around but that's too complicated for me.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'd almost certainly be better off keeping your cash (if you have any left after the property purchase!) where it is now, and go for Santander Lite...which offers the same cashback on your bills but for £4 less a month.
    EssexExile wrote: »
    If you can keep £20,000 in it then the 123 is good. Some of their customer facing staff are not the best informed but that seems pretty general nowadays. You can make more interest spreading your money around but that's too complicated for me.

I don't really think I'll get to £20k any time soon anyway, especially after a home purchase! Maybe Lite will be better :)
  • Whitterbod
    Options
    The lloyds account has two regular savers as well
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly.. 😊
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    The main santander 123 account has a £5 a month fee. Which if you have the full £20k means you're really only getting 1.2%

You'd be better off with 123 lite & stashing money in various savings accounts with better rates.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whitterbod wrote: »
    The lloyds account has two regular savers as well

I've got the 5% regular saver with First Direct, should mature around January/February time :)
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco 3% on £3K if you can do 3 DDs.. or 1 weekly.
    And you can have 2 accounts = 3% guaranteed until April on £6k .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah Santander are a nice bank.

There are a few other banks which do crash back on household DD's. But not good on the interest side.

Natwest and Royal bank of Scotland IIRC
    2% ? cashback
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A month ago I wanted to open a 123 account with Santander online. Filled in all the details - above average income, no debt and clean credit history with all CRAs. Was instantly declined with an automated message that their decision was based on my Experian credit report.

Ordered the report and it was basically what I expected - clean with 2 CCs with balances cleared in full each months and an HSBC Advance current account, some searches from insurance providers (car insurance was up for renewal). Experian score of 993 for what is worth.

Really CBA going in branch or waiting on the phone for an hour looking for explanation. Went for Starling with lower interest on the balance, but far superior customer service.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    A month ago I wanted to open a 123 account with Santander online. Filled in all the details - above average income, no debt and clean credit history with all CRAs. Was instantly declined with an automated message that their decision was based on my Experian credit report.

Ordered the report and it was basically what I expected - clean with 2 CCs with balances cleared in full each months and an HSBC Advance current account, some searches from insurance providers (car insurance was up for renewal). Experian score of 993 for what is worth.

Really CBA going in branch or waiting on the phone for an hour looking for explanation. Went for Starling with lower interest on the balance, but far superior customer service.

It could be something as simple as a slight mismatch between the details you entered in the OLA, and those recorded by Experian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure