PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash buyers

Options
13»

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Crashy knows the answers better than most ; he's just using the thread and asking naive questions in the belief it furthers his agenda.

However, I'm not sure that it does, other than imply that a house none of us knows is on sale at a price which hasn't so far generated a quick enough sale for the purposes of the person selling.

If the market hadn`t been so distorted with too cheap credit, and the subsequent overly enthusiastic belief in property as some kind of cash machine these companies couldn`t exist, they prey on people`s desperation to get out of bad deals IMO.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There will always be bad deals and unfortunate circumstances, Crashy.

I know local couple who live in a cottage which some folks might call quaint, but I call it damp, dingy and rickety. The garden floods and they have someone else's trees blocking most of the views and a good deal of the sunlight. It's at a pinch point in the road too, so vehicles have hit it on occasions.

Now, these elderly people are in sudden failing health, the roof needs expensive repair and being in a fairly isolated spot has lost its appeal. Winter is approaching......

This sort of scenario is being played-out in different forms all over the country. The house we live in now was sold in a hurry at a knock-down price by 'highly motivated' sellers. They didn't get themselves into a pickle because of cheap credit; they were where they were because one of them went to jail.

You can't blame the bankers for everything.
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    To be fair to Crashy, I asked him last Saturday's lottery numbers yesterday and he got most of them right :D

Really? He's been predicting exactly the same numbers for years now, and not one of them has ever been right, even with hindsight.

Compared with Crashy's accuracy, a broken clock is on an amazing winning streak...
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    There will always be bad deals and unfortunate circumstances, Crashy.

I know local couple who live in a cottage which some folks might call quaint, but I call it damp, dingy and rickety. The garden floods and they have someone else's trees blocking most of the views and a good deal of the sunlight. It's at a pinch point in the road too, so vehicles have hit it on occasions.

Now, these elderly people are in sudden failing health, the roof needs expensive repair and being in a fairly isolated spot has lost its appeal. Winter is approaching......

This sort of scenario is being played-out in different forms all over the country. The house we live in now was sold in a hurry at a knock-down price by 'highly motivated' sellers. They didn't get themselves into a pickle because of cheap credit; they were where they were because one of them went to jail.

You can't blame the bankers for everything.

Denying that cheap credit with too low interest rates for too long has made a property bubble is just a pointless debate IMO, everyone and their EA knows it, you know it, and I know it ;)
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Really? He's been predicting exactly the same numbers for years now, and not one of them has ever been right, even with hindsight.

Compared with Crashy's accuracy, a broken clock is on an amazing winning streak...

I predicted Trump, Brexit, and that housing transactions would take a nose dive before the inevitable awakening that prices also need to crash ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure