PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash buyers

Options

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why is the OP considering this company then, ...

As already explained by the OP ;)
    Emilya wrote: »
    Hi

We are trying to sell our house ASAP ...
    and why is this company still in business?

They provide a service that suit the requirements of some with specific needs ... and may also entrap some of the unwary.

With large, easy profits available for the taking, they don't need many successful purchases to consider they have a viable business
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Crashy knows the answers better than most ; he's just using the thread and asking naive questions in the belief it furthers his agenda.

However, I'm not sure that it does, other than imply that a house none of us knows is on sale at a price which hasn't so far generated a quick enough sale for the purposes of the person selling.
  • diggingdude
    Options
    To be fair to Crashy, I asked him last Saturday's lottery numbers yesterday and he got most of them right :D
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Others have already point out that these companies are nasty. Better options for a quick sale are.

(a) market at a more realistic price
    (b) auction
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Emilya
    Options
    OK so to give more background to this, we started at 170,000 for a two bed terraced house in virtually the city centre of Worcester opposite Worcester racecourse and a Park with easy access to the river for long walks, I can be in the city centre in a 10 min walk... the house is finished to a high standard being recently redecorated in neutral colours with modern furnishings and a new kitchen, bathroom and ensuite... every estate agent we have spoken to has agreed the house is in excellent condition and very well decorated and designed. We dropped our asking price to 165,000 in August to try to get a quick sale ( a two bedroom house two doors down has gone up for sale at 160,000 and is nowhere near as nicely done as ours and many houses in this area of this type are priced between 170-180,000 so I don’t beleive the price is the issue and we have and still are getting interest and plenty of viewings it’s just nobody seems to be at the right time to offer ( most are trying to sell their own properties) so what I need advice on is yes I know I could wait longer and be more patient but we are desperate to purchase a certain house so is it safe / legitimate to use these cash buyers or are they more hassle then they are worth and will end up costing a hell of a lot more? And for interests sake it’s actually yellow springbok we are considering not webuyanyhouse.com
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're likely to be chucking away a vast amount of money by doing it that way. They're only interested in buying something they can sell quickly. Which means selling at a cheap price. So to cover all their costs and make a profit, they need to buy from you at even cheaper than cheap. They're only for those who are genuinely desperate, not merely impatient.

Sell first before you start falling in love with your future house.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    so is it safe / legitimate to use these cash buyers or are they more hassle then they are worth and will end up costing a hell of a lot more?

This question has already been answered above several times by people above, who have explained how these companies work and why you shouldnt use them. How many times would you like people to rewrite the same advice out for you?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lewisa wrote: »
    You clearly have an agenda, but what the hell, I'll bite.

Well OP has already had offers, just chains getting in the way.

And as Cakeguts says, lower the price... a bit... and wait for another bite.

OP wants to sell to buy another place they like, it isn't a fire sale.

Keep dreaming Crashy. Follow Mark Carney on Twitter, he will make you feel better.

Reading between your lines - Chains are collapsing because people won`t lower their price and banks won`t lend their price, the OP is asking too much for their house but needs X amount because the next house is also over-priced, a certain bank have run out of props (or don`t want to use them any more because many voters now want lower house prices) and are just getting ahead of the inevitable bubble pop by saying that it could happen? I won`t bother with twitter the endless stream of house price crash headlines in the MSM now are enough thanks ;)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OK so to give more background to this, we started at 170,000 for a two bed terraced house in virtually the city centre of Worcester opposite Worcester racecourse and a Park with easy access to the river for long walks, I can be in the city centre in a 10 min walk... the house is finished to a high standard being recently redecorated in neutral colours with modern furnishings and a new kitchen, bathroom and ensuite... every estate agent we have spoken to has agreed the house is in excellent condition and very well decorated and designed. We dropped our asking price to 165,000 in August to try to get a quick sale ( a two bedroom house two doors down has gone up for sale at 160,000 and is nowhere near as nicely done as ours and many houses in this area of this type are priced between 170-180,000 so I don’t beleive the price is the issue and we have and still are getting interest and plenty of viewings it’s just nobody seems to be at the right time to offer ( most are trying to sell their own properties) so what I need advice on is yes I know I could wait longer and be more patient but we are desperate to purchase a certain house so is it safe / legitimate to use these cash buyers or are they more hassle then they are worth and will end up costing a hell of a lot more? And for interests sake it’s actually yellow springbok we are considering not webuyanyhouse.com

Forget how much other properties are priced for if they haven't sold I had a quick look on Rightmove and the vast majority of the 2 bed houses that are marked sold were priced at £150k. This suggests that your marketing price is £15k too high. It took me roughly 5 minutes to work that out how long do you think it will take the cash for houses company to find that out?

The cash for houses company is not going to offer you more for it than they can sell it for. My researches say that £165k is too much so if they are offering cash they will offer much lower than that.

If they can only sell it for around £150k and they have to make a profit they will offer you a lot lower than £150k.

If you are happy to accept less than £150k from a cash for houses company why are you not happy to accept it from a normal buyer. You will probably get more from a normal buyer.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 8:06AM
    Options
    I know I could wait longer and be more patient but we are desperate to purchase a certain house so is it safe / legitimate to use these cash buyers or are they more hassle then they are worth and will end up costing a hell of a lot more? And for interests sake it’s actually yellow springbok we are considering not webuyanyhouse.com

What they're called makes no difference; they all have to buy waaay below what a house will definitely sell for, or they'd go bust. Yellow Springbok have been around for ages, so they are doing deals that are good....for them!

When the last Crash was on, 4 couples 'desperately wanted' our house, but none could sell theirs. Then, one couple moved their house to the agent we were using, hacked a serious % off the price, got a buyer and did a deal with us to help compensate.

Being proactive worked for them. Fortune favours the brave, or the creative; not those who think there's an easy option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure