Compensation Claim for Bank Exposing Balance to Colleague

Options
Hello. Hoping someone with a bit of knowledge or similar experience could share their thoughts.

My bank exposed my bank balance and the details of 4 transactions I had made to a former colleague of mine.
I changed my mobile phone number, but they did not change it in all systems. About 1 month later one of these systems sent an SMS to my old number, which was now in use by a former colleague.
Obviously this has been incredibly embarrassing since that colleague could see exactly how much (or little ;) ) money I had in my account.

I have been offered £250 compensation for the distress, and have been assured that the issue has been fixed. I don't really know how I feel about this offer...
On the one hand it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial, though on the other I'm typically not the sort of person who goes around looking for "freebies" or a hand out. But more importantly I don't know what I am ENTITLED to, if such an entitlement is indeed stipulated somewhere.

If I rejected this offer and went to the Ombudsman, would I be likely to be awarded something more substantial? Or is £250 fairly typical in these issues?

Thank you for any insight.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    You've suffered no actual loss, so £250 seems very generous to me.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very generous, also you may have broken work usage rules with using your works' mobile for personal business.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take the £250 and grow up.

What else do you want? A pound of their flesh?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Technically, you're entitled to compensation for distress caused by breach of GDPR. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle. The £250 seems fair.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    boomshaka wrote: »
    But more importantly I don't know what I am ENTITLED to, if such an entitlement is indeed stipulated somewhere.

Nothing at all.

Banks will often offer something, but they're not obliged to.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Would it not have been YOUR responsibility to take out the SIM card from the old phone?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    Technically, you're entitled to compensation for distress caused by breach of GDPR.

No, you aren't.
  • societys_child
    Options
    boomshaka wrote: »
    I don't really know how I feel about this offer...
    it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial
    I'm typically not the sort of person who goes around looking for "freebies" or a hand out
    I don't know what I am ENTITLED to
    would I be likely to be awarded something more substantial?
    Humm, OK . .
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Ive have received far less when i have suffered actual financial losses due to companies screwing up.

Seems very generous to me
  • By colleague you mean work colleague?

So were you using a work mobile and number for personal purposes?

You’re entitled to nothing other than to learn from your own sloppy mistakes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure