Suspended for gross misconduct...help

Options
ds383
ds383 Posts: 49 Forumite
edited 12 September 2018 at 9:31PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I was suspended for gross misconduct yesterday on full pay. I showed up to a written warning disciplinary meeting drunk. And now I have another disciplinary meeting for gross misconduct for being drunk in the previous disciplinary.

Let me explain why I showed up drunk, which was a huge mistake. I have autism and anxiety issues and take medication for it and the day of the disciplinary I had unexpectedly ran out of the medication which calms me down. In a panic I decided to drink a few glasses of wine as I was finding the whole thing very stressful..I got a little drunker than I intended to, I just wanted to relax. I should have been more careful. I have issues with alcohol dependency and tend to use alcohol as a way to cope with anxious situations and I really couldn't see how I was going to get through it without something to calm me down. They didn't tell me I could have a representative with me, and the meeting was with someone I'd never met before, it wasn't my manager. They know about my alcohol and anxiety problems, btw. And they know I'm on medication for it. They also know I have autism.

I'm worried sick and extremely remorseful. I've worked there for over 3 years and I'm very good at my job, and I really enjoy it. What are the chances of me getting fired? it's going to be near impossible to get another job with this on my file.

When I have the actual meeting for the hearing I will be telling them that I have quit drinking and will be starting on anti-depressants. Would this help my defence?

Thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Offer to resign for a neutral reference?
  • ds383
    Options
    They haven't given me that option yet but if it came to that I would do it. I really don't want to lose this job though as I really enjoy it. I didn't know that being intoxicated was gross misconduct.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What was the original disciplinary meeting for?
  • ds383
    Options
    It was for an absense. I fainted at work and had to be taken to hospital and they classed it as an absense, but because it was my 6th absense in 12 months or something they gave me a written warning for it. Their absense policy is ridiculous.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »
    I have issues with alcohol dependency....They know about my alcohol and anxiety problems, btw.

These two bits.

I have a gambling problem. I attend GA meetings every week. I have to attend these meetings as it helps me big time in stopping to gamble.

In the past I've put jobs at risk through gambling, such as:

- Going over on lunch times and coming back late

- Ringing in sick when I'm chasing big losses

- Being so focused on the next bet that I can't communicate with people properly (but did the job fine).

Maybe you need to consider going to an AA meeting about your drinking problems. If your drinking is anything like my gambling then there is actually no *stop* point and the default coping mechanism is to fall back on the crux; it can be fairly slow but it can eventually rip your life apart. I could picture myself in your shoes (with the gambling) and with the same problems to deal with.

As for your immediate situation, I can't help you I'm afraid only to say that it is entirely self inflicted. I like to focus on the long term solution here by giving you my own personal experience. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best and follow advice given by others RE: the immediate situation.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »
    It was for an absense. I fainted at work and had to be taken to hospital and they classed it as an absense, but because it was my 6th absense in 12 months or something they gave me a written warning for it. Their absense policy is ridiculous.

Their absence policy is actually quite generous. Last place I worked it was a maximum of 8 days or 4 periods of absence, whichever was the lower. For people with a chronic illness that could be extended to 10 days, but beyond that the absence management process kicked in.
    Your most recent absence which resulted in hospitalisation may be disregarded after investigation, but the process has to kick in first. What were the other 5 absences for?
    As you have said yourself, turning up drunk for a disciplinary meeting wasn't the best thing you've ever done. They may or may not accept your explanation, only time will tell.
  • ds383
    Options
    I think I've only had about 4 absences actually. The most recent was the hospitalisation, the one before that was in July for food poisoning, the one before that was in March for sickness. And then one in December when I slipped on ice and hurt my back. I've never had more than 1 day off for each period of absence.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As others have suggested, you really need to deal with your alcohol dependence and seek help for it. Apart from anything else alcohol doesn't mix well with a variety of drugs and could cause you further problems.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    troll post yo
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When I have the actual meeting for the hearing I will be telling them that I have quit drinking and will be starting on anti-depressants. Would this help my defence?

Yes, it would. It would also help if you can provide concrete evidence that you have joined a support group and are seeking medical help, this might give them a different perspective.

The best you can do is a) be honest with them and yourself that you have a serious problem and b) seek help and let them know its being sought.
    the day of the disciplinary I had unexpectedly ran out of the medication which calms me down. In a panic I decided to drink a few glasses of wine as I was finding the whole thing very stressful..I got a little drunker than I intended to, I just wanted to relax. I should have been more careful. I have issues with alcohol dependency and tend to use alcohol as a way to cope with anxious situations and I really couldn't see how I was going to get through it without something to calm me down.

You do seem genuinely remorseful, but also you do seem to have a few excuses.

Ultimately, I think you are an alcoholic and that is why you showed up to work drunk. Alcoholism is a separate, and serious, problem to your other problem of anxiety and your condition of autism (I'm not saying it isn't related, but it is still a separate issue).

If any of your absences were directly related to your autism, then they should be making reasonable adjustment to the policy to account for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure