🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Traffic Offence - what to do?

Options
MrBen_4
MrBen_4 Posts: 147 Forumite
A friend of mine received a traffic offence notice a couple of weeks back, but he nor his gf were driving the vehicle at the time. The only explanation is that someone got hold of the keys that evening and went joyriding. He tells me he left his keys in the front door before he went out, and there was no reason to suspect the car had been used when they next used it. They are being treated as liars by the Police, and it looks like it's going to court now. The gf said she was willing to pay the fine and accept responsibility to avoid hassle, but she wasn't allowed to because she wasn't actually the driver.
Can any legal heads drop in with some advice?

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    This does sound odd! Why would joyriders return the car unnoticed without any damage. It seems more likely that someone misread someone elses number plate for theirs or false number plates that happened to be same as your mates. I would want to see cctv footage for proof it was their car.
  • MrBen_4
    Options
    photos of the offense have been sent through apparently
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    where were they at the time? hopefully somewhere where lots of people saw them and can provide a nice alibi? do they have any teenage children or relatives who could possibly be responsible? i can understand why the police are sceptical, so they will need to have plenty of evidence to back up what happened.
    :happyhear
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    So let me get this straight - someone nicked the keys from inside the house, went for a drive, get a speeding ticket or two then returned the car and the keys to the original positions?

I would personally go for the fact their number plate has been cloned onto another vehicle.
  • MrBen_4
    Options
    So let me get this straight - someone nicked the keys from inside the house, went for a drive, get a speeding ticket or two then returned the car and the keys to the original positions?

I would personally go for the fact their number plate has been cloned onto another vehicle.

From what I understand the door keys (which included the car keys) were left in the front door upon leaving the house.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    MrBen wrote: »
    From what I understand the door keys (which included the car keys) were left in the front door upon leaving the house.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So rather than rob the house, they borrow the car and then return it .... AND put the keys back in the front door ...!!!!???????

Do me a favour. Your mate has been up to something and is simply trying to garner your loyalty.

Of course, his number plates might have been cloned - but why go to such lengths to make up such an unbelievable story? :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Greta
    Greta Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As much as I think this story is a tall order and goes against the balance of probabilities / logic; trying to keep an open mind here ...one has to ask if it was a prank?

Neighbour or someone else doesn't like, thus goes through with setting them up. However, they would need to have seen the keys etc, and do people really have nothing better to do with themselves?

Wasn't the case of a speeding offence against Christine and Neil Hamilton dropped, because they didn't know who was driving at the time? Either one of them could have been. The media covered this recently, and a law to forbid it as a defence (has this new law now been passed)?

Of course cloning number plates as already suggested. Has your friend requested photos?
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    it does sound like plate cloning,has he advertised the car for sale recently or does he have it on any website with the number plates visible?
    ...work permit granted!
  • What kind of traffic offence?
    Were was your friend and GF at the time?
    Who is in the pictures?

Frankly I find it impossible to believe that anyone other than your mate or his GF were driving

Would this offence by any chance get him banned:rolleyes:
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrBen wrote: »
    A friend of mine received a traffic offence notice a couple of weeks back, but he nor his gf were driving the vehicle at the time.

it looks like it's going to court now.

The gf said she was willing to pay the fine and accept responsibility to avoid hassle, but she wasn't allowed to because she wasn't actually the driver.

:confused::confused::confused:

All too often truth lies in what isn't said - rather than what is -

How many points does your friend have? How many points does his girlfriend have? How has it proceeded to a likely court appearance after a couple of weeks?

I suspect your friend is perhaps misleading you and us - but you will know him better than we do - or do you know him well enough? Did he read about the Finance Director of BMW Mini being jailed for telling the court his son was driving?
    John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family