New Post Advanced Search

Tesco Bank Home Insurance - Schedule - "is regularly unoccupied during the day"

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
6 replies 1.2K views
jimlad68jimlad68 Forumite
39 posts
Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I am querying my "Tesco Bank Home Insurance - Schedule", most of it seems obvious but these 2 statements put together suggest one thing, but separately suggest something different.

My home....
d) is regularly occupied at night YES
e) is regularly unoccupied during the day NO

I am sure the original online query (probably from a comarison site) for (e) would have been something like:
"is regularly occupied during the day",
which, as my wife and I are retired would have been YES.

However, if you make that a double negative as in the schedule i.e. "is regularly unoccupied during the day" becomes very ambiguous.

Whilst we are both "based" in the house during the day most days, we go to the shops, go on holiday, go into the garden, have days out. COULD ANY OF THESE BE CONSTRUED AS "is regularly unoccupied during the day"?

I did ring Tesco CS, but got the response, it is up to you to decide. I will probably ring and push it again. Unfortunately I cannot find an email address for queries, especially as, it would be nice to have something in writing.

Has anyone else come across this or have any ideas?

Replies

• ShedmanShedman Forumite
    716 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I don't see the ambiguity. No to Regulary Unoccupied must be, by my logic, the same as Yes to Regularly Occupied. I don't think the fact that you are not in the house 24/7 every day would nullify this , given that you are retired and presumably in the house on considerably more days than you're not. The fact you've also stated both your occupations as Retired adds further credibility to this (as believe an insurer would expect a retired couple to be in regular occupation as opposed to people with day jobs)

I have just switched our Home insurance to Tesco Bank and like you are retired and a similar pattern of days out, holidays etc. I have gone with the options you have suggested and feel comfortable that I have answered honestly and correctly.
  • edited 7 September 2018 at 9:20PM
    39 posts
    edited 7 September 2018 at 9:20PM
    Thanks Shedman:

I hope I am probably being pedantic, and if it is ambiguous then I would have thought their fault. I think the word "regular" is a bad word to use in any definition, one persons regular, is another persons occasional etc.
  • ZorilloZorillo Forumite
    769 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a fair question at all. I imagine policyholders cowering in their homes all day, afraid to go out in case they invalidate their insurance.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jimlad68 wrote: »
    I think the word "regular" is a bad word to use in any definition, .

"Usual" would be a better word.

Regular refers to the constancy of the repetition interval between occurances. If you are away most of the time but are always in residence on fridays, then the house is "regularly occupied", although usually unoccupied. :)
  • edited 8 September 2018 at 11:52PM
    39 posts
    edited 8 September 2018 at 11:52PM
    On reflection, the instances I quote "go to the shops, go on holiday, go into the garden, have days out" are irregular, however, if the house was unoccupied say every Friday for a sports activity, that would be regular!
  • jimlad68jimlad68 Forumite
    39 posts
    Spoke to Tesco again, this time a different answer. Basically if you are out at say work regularly that would be regularly unoccupied, going to the shops, on holiday etc would not count.

Thanks for all your comments