Can you take a small dog on the train and tube?

We have a small dog (king chares spaniel) and wondered if we can take it on a train, and the tube? Never thought about it before....

Comments

• britishboy wrote: »
    We have a small dog (king chares spaniel) and wondered if we can take it on a train, and the tube? Never thought about it before....

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/2016/taking-dog-on-public-transport
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,712
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks _shel, i should googled it myself
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Obviously, before you do this, think about the times of day you are travelling, and the dog's temperament ... Taking anything more than the absolute essentials on a tube in rush hour is my idea of hell ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • As the owner of one city slicker pooch be warned, grumpy moody Londoners are transformed when there is a cute dog on the tube - the attention can be a bit overwhelming (for me not the dog he loves it!)
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used to take my staffie on tube and london overground no problems. I think with buses, it is at the driver's discretion.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • longwalks1
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Obviously, before you do this, think about the times of day you are travelling, and the dog's temperament ... Taking anything more than the absolute essentials on a tube in rush hour is my idea of hell ...

Yes i will, was thinking for a Sat or Sun afternoon so to avoid the commuters (I know I'll meet all the toursits of a weekend)
  • longwalks1
    Forumite
    As the owner of one city slicker pooch be warned, grumpy moody Londoners are transformed when there is a cute dog on the tube - the attention can be a bit overwhelming (for me not the dog he loves it!)

I can imagine, its hard enough walking to the shops and back in our village wth her, let alone a tube full of miserable commuters :)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Not at all connected with this thread but one for all Gitdog fans. I would love to hear that story if Elisen decided to take him on public transport.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • I see small to big dogs on tubes every day. Some look content and happy and others look uncomfortable.

I think to consider how your dog reacts to busy situations (my dog cries even in the car) and how much you need to get the tube.

But yes, you are allowed to! :)
  • In terms of taking a dog on a train, we usually settle our Pomeranian in one of those dog strollers, so that he'd be comfy during travel. The other passengers usually find it cute as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure