»

Credit balance on TSB credit card

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Credit balance on TSB credit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
12 replies 2.6K views
Rach273Rach273 Forumite
46 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hello, feeling incredibly foolish :(

I have a few credit cards, and back in May I thought I had done a balance transfer of £1,300 from my Halifax credit card to a new Barclaycard.
I countinued paying off the balance on the Halifax and went to close it to discover that there was £1,300 still on there.
What i have actually done is a balance transfer from my old TSB card which had a nil balance anyway - yes I am an idiot.
So I’m now left with -£1,300 on a TSB card. £1,300 on the Halifax card (thankfully still at 0% for a while yet) and some debt on the Barclaycard.
I have been into branch and spoken on the phone to TSB and they have said there is nothing I can do.
Barclaycard have said TSB should refund the money into my TSB current account, or they could make a faster payment to a Barclaycard account and have provided a sort code and account number for this and have also said they would waive any fees for me.
But TSB have said they are unable to make a faster payment, and won’t transfer the balance as it would be against money laundering regulations.
Anyone got any idea what on Earth I should try next?
Mortgage: April 2020 £124,300 September 2017 £135,000
Debt (0%) £3,100 Savings £3,030.58 S&S ISA £395.27

Replies

• Gary_DexterGary_Dexter PPR
    7.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Transfer it back in the other direction?
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What have TSB actually said they can do, to return the money to you?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or spend it. A BT to TSB will cost you around 3% so you may as well do your normal spends on the TSB card and pay that money off the Halifax.
  • Rach273Rach273 Forumite
    46 posts
    barclays can’t request it back from TSB, they need TSB to do a payment to the account, but TSB are refusing and saying they can’t do anything to help me.
    I can’t spend that amount of money before my 0% balance runs out in the Halifax card.
    TSB haven’t come up with any suggestions apart from Barclaycard need to sort it.
    Barclaycard have come up with two suggestions, both of which mean TSB need to do something. I’ve been into branch and had the TSB managed call Barclays and they are still at this stale mate.
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't spend the money using the TSB card with the credit balance, then if it were me, I would make a written complaint to both TSB and Barclaycard. The reason I would complain to both is that one of them needs to take ownership of the problem, but at the moment they are both passing the buck...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    276 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I thought they usually refunded a credit balance by cheque?
  • pochisoldipochisoldi Forumite
    182 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    I thought they usually refunded a credit balance by cheque?

We are talking about TSB here - you know, the bank with the botched IT systems, and even more broken customer service.

The three tries rule applies - ring them up again asking the same question in a different manner until you either get what you want or you get knocked back a third time.

You could register a complaint, but given that I've had a credit card complaint outstanding since 18th May without any hint of progress being made, you'll be claiming your old age pension before a resolution comes along.

PochiSoldi
  • if i had a +ve balance on a TSB credit card and i wanted the money they would be giving me my money.. having stoozed for a long time, part of it is just about being clear re what you want. that is your money.. you have paid one fee, i assume, you certainly don't want to pay another to access your own money.
  • as it happens i've just received my MBNA statement.. with transferring the balance to Barclaycard and Nationwide And my DD being taken, i am c£200 in credit. The statement reads "There's a credit balance on your account. Please call us on 03456 062062 so we can arrange a refund for you (if you haven't already)." TSB should certainly arrange a similar refund for you, if you request properly.
  • Rach273Rach273 Forumite
    46 posts
    Just an update. I have open complaints with TSB and have referred to FOS also. TSB have closed my credit card account and now it is not showing on my online banking, but they have yet to refund any money. FOS have written to say they will appoint an adjudicator within the next 12 weeks. TSB have written to say that due to the high volume of complaints they have received they are taking longer than usual and apologising for the delay.
    So here I am at 3:30am unable to sleep because I’m worrying about never seeing this money again :(