Carphone Warehouse offer - Extra £200 on trade in for Note 9

amk515
amk515 Posts: 113
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with Carphone Warehouse over their additional £200 offer when pre-ordering the Galaxy Note 9.

I bought the device online on 13th August 2018 and did a trade in online at the same time where I was told I would receive £265 plus the additional £200 which was on offer for the trade in. I received the Note 9 on 24th August and sent my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8+) on 28th August due to the 27th August being a bank holiday.

I contacted their Twitter account to find out whether my trade in was received which they confirmed it had and that I can expect £250 for my phone. I asked why £250 when I should receive £465 due to the offer. I was told I would receive the additional £200 after receiving the £250. I told them that it would leave me £15 worse off as I was told on 13th August when trading in that it would be £465 and they said they would provide the £15 once my money had been received.

I have today contacted customer service on the phone to be told that I will receive £250 within 3-5 working days. I asked about the additional £200 to which I was told I would receive it within 3-5 working days of receiving the £250 which is not what is stated in their terms and conditions.

I then double checked with the Twitter account and was told I should receive the additional amount before the promotion ends on 18th September. Again, nowhere does it state that in their terms and conditions.

People who have traded there phone in at a high street branch received their phone and the full amount due (including £200 additional amount) all at the same time. I feel people who have done this online are being penalised for doing so or they may be trying to wriggle out of the offer.

What should be my next steps?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless the T&Cs give you a timescale for receiving the money, I'd wait. You've been promised it, keep those messages safe.
  • Providing you have written proof, hold them to the T&C and send a well constructed Letter Before Legal Proceedings. With CPW that's usually the language they understand.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I assume they've received the S8+, tested the device and it's passed their checks?

From the Terms and Conditions:

Step 1: Order your Samsung Galaxy Note 9 online
    Step 2: Complete your trade-in online
    Step 3: Receive a return postage page envelope in the post and return your old device within 7 days of receiving your new device.
    Step 4: Funds transferred to your account within 72 hours of receiving your device.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • amk515
    amk515 Posts: 113
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, they should be their terms and conditions.

My phone has passed all checks but I’ve now been told that the money will take 3-5 working days and not 72 hours and it’s also paid by BACS which takes a few days too.

On top of that, the payment will be for the standard amount (£265) and then I will receive the additional £200 3-5 days after the first payment.

None of this is within any of their terms and conditions.
  • Poor service is an understatement.

Carphone promotion for Note 9, was an extra £200 on top of your trade in value (on eligible phones). I traded in Samsung Note 8 (using online form), perfect condition. I did not receive any contact from Carphone Warehouse about my Trade in and did not receive quoted payment by due date, as per their terms and condition.

I had to do all the chasing and I eventually discovered that they gave me an adjusted trade in value of £50! This is £300 less than I should be getting for a working Note 8. Even a non-working Note 8 is worth around £150.

After calling them and escalating my query/complaint, they now claim that the phone I traded in was an old Note 4! W T F

So, they've taken my Note 8, which is less than a year old and have pulled a scam to swap it for a Note 4! As a gesture of goodwill, they are offering to send me the Note 4. They cannot do anything because their "computer says no"!

Surely, I can report this to the police? The have practically stolen my phone.

UNACCEPTABLE service and experience. Stay away from these Carphone CLOWNS!!!!
  • flipsonic wrote: »

Surely, I can report this to the police? The have practically stolen my phone.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good luck with that.

Suggest you read my previous instead.
  • ***UPDATE***

Carphone Warehouse have since located my Note 8 (why they claimed I sent Note 4, I'll never know). They said my Note 8 had screen burn in, so offered £120 for it.

But, due to their f**k up, they'll give me the full trade in price as well as the £200 extra promo. And another £30 as a gesture of goodwill.

Carphone Warehouse mugs.
  • Feel let down by carphone warehouse, i pre ordered the Note 9 with the cash back offer of £200 plus additional £120 trade in on my Galaxy S7.

Placed order and received the pre paid envelope, at this point my Mother said she would by the S7 off me so i contacted Carphone warehouse to ensue this would not effect my additional £200 cash back offer.

I was told that it would definitely not and that i would still receive the additional £200

Now 6 weeks later i am being told the offer only stands alongside the Trade In.

I wish i had recorded the phone call to them so that i could prove this was said to me on my phone call to them.
  • niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They hold this offer regularly on the samsung phones, and it is always an additional cashback with a trade in. The fact you decided to keep your old phone would cancel the additional cashback.

I previously traded in my old s7 edge for the s9+ with a similar trade in offer online, and although the "extra" cashback took time, everything happened without a problem.

I would say that customer services aren't the most clear when people ask questions about this, and can sometimes lead you up the wrong garden path.
  • I called carphone warehouse to arrange an early upgrade with them for a new samsung galaxy note 9. The sales rep informed me that I would be able to take my old device into their retail store to trade in and take advantage of the £140 quoted for my device and an additional £160 boost for my device (Google Pixel XL 32gb).

After visiting the store the staff told me the sales advisor on the phone was wrong and that I would need to complete this online and I wasn't the first person this had happened to.

I went online and sorted the trade in for the £140 value that carphone warehouse was quoting and sent the item off in the post on the 12th of October. On the 18th of October I then contacted Carphone Warehouse over facebook to find out where my phone was. They confirmed it had been received and that I would receive my funds the next day. The funds did not appear.

I contacted them via facebook again on the 21st to find out where the payment was as I had not recieved anything. I was then told to wait another 2 days for an update as the customer service team had not heard from the trade in team on the 23rd of october.

Later that evening I recieved an e-mail from the trade in team claiming my phone had a burnt in screen and therefore they would only be able to give me £40 for my phone. The phone was verified working and in good condition by a member of the carphone warehouse team in Angel before I made the upgrade purchase and was seen in perfect working order when i visited the store to trade in. The device was in working order as per the terms on the carphone warehouse site as I had wiped the device the morning before sending it off. The phone was left in its heavy duty silicone case and sent off in the padded envelope that Carphone warehouse provided.

I can only assume that they had damaged the device and are now attempting to get out of providing me with the trade in value and promotional value they had quoted me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure