NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

dla appeal yesterday, what next?

I had to go to the courts in Chester yesterday to appeal the dwp’s decision with regards to my daughter’s dla being stopped back in June.

My daughter is epileptic and regularly has absent seizures and has been known to fall to the floor and hit her head. She fights us twice a day when we have to give her her medication. And I daren’t leave her on her own because she shows no signs a seizure will happen, she can’t vocalise that she feels funny, there’s no triggers and no patterns. Dwp apparently think that she needs no extra care to that of a normal child her age.

The appeal went in our favour and it was ruled that the dla should be reinstated until 2020. I got a bit emotional and didn’t really take anything in after the judge said it was to be reinstated.

I’ve just phoned dla to enquire about roughly how long it will take. But apparently it has to go back to a decision maker again and could take 6-8 weeks. The woman I spoke to actually seemed annoyed that I’d dared to phone and ask.

I’m not sure what happens next and was wondering if anyone else does?

Replies

• tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The DWP will get the courts decision in writing and make arrangements to reinstate the award and make to make a payment for any backdate owed.

It's not a fast process.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The DLA award may allow you to claim -
    Disabled Child Tax Credits, and
    Carers Allowance.

It's likely the DWP will take 6-8 weeks before payment.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum