edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
127 replies 16.2K views

Replies

• Crashy_TimeCrashy_Time Forumite
    9.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I really hope it doesn't come to that... Its not even as if I'm late or won't pay its just i cant afford to pay 2months with 3days notice.
    Argh
    I emailed them back the other day and had no reply, part of me just thinks to pay it but that literally leaves us with nothing to pay other bills.
    :(

Stop paying rent in advance, start putting money into a slush fund for your next move, move it through premium bonds or something, make a list of any repairs needing done and make sure that the agent follows through, start viewing other properties, maybe with the same agent if they are any good. Make your money work for YOU and get more accomodation options lined up IMO.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im going to pay the one months rent.

Just hope nothing happens now.

Thanks all.

Feel like i should email the agents to explain why I'm doing this, but I've not actually done any wrong

There is nothing to explain, if they query it then point out the fact on agreement, no need to explain.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Will not any legal action to evict the tenant fail anyway, because the LL has failed to supply an EPC at the start of the tenancy?
    No.

Lack of an EPC would invalidate a S21 Notice.

It would not invalidate a S8 Notice.
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • Jm90Jm90 Forumite
    117 posts
    Hi all, me again!

So, we paid the 1 months rent, on time.

Just recieved a call from the estate agent letting us know the landlord needs ro return from dubai urgently, and wants to be in the house by November.

Only had an email the other day asking us if we were now paying rent monthly instead of 3months at a time.

We said we have a contract and she said she needs to see what legal rights he has/we have
    Surely she would know this.

Absolutely gutted is an understatement

Can anyone help
  • Pixie5740Pixie5740 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, me again!

Just recieved a call from the estate agent letting us know the landlord needs ro return from dubai urgently, and wants to be in the house by November.

Only had an email the other day asking us if we were now paying rent monthly instead of 3months at a time.

We said we have a contract and she said she needs to see what legal rights he has/we have

Can anyone help

What more help do you require? Your legal position has been explained to you.
  • Lioness_TwinkletoesLioness_Twinkletoes Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, me again!

Can anyone help

When/IF your landlord serves notice, come back and update this thread. Until then, you need do nothing other than continue to pay your rent monthly and live your life. You have a legally binding contract. That said, I'd probably start looking for a new home as your landlord sounds like a proper c**t.
  • SmashedAvacadoSmashedAvacado Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    If you want practical help you might explain to your landlord that you are entitled to remain in the property, but that if he wants to be in, perhaps he can pay you some money to leave early. You might do that nearer the time.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, me again!

Can anyone help
    You can ofcourse agree, and set whatever terms you like.

there is no way they can get you out before 2019. So if you want to ask for £5,000 for example, do so.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    looks like the LL wanted their cake and eat it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • Jm90Jm90 Forumite
    117 posts
    I understand its been explained but i am worried, i have called shelter and they seem to think he is within his rights to serve a section 21 and give me 2 months notice.
    However is has to be written, we just had a phone call from the agents.

I needed to know for definite, as if he can take the house in november i will be less than a month off having my baby, so this needs to be sorted.