MSE News: O2 launches 'custom' plans - but it'll cost you

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
6 replies 1.9K views
MSE_Stephen_BMSE_Stephen_B MSE Staff
69 posts
Second Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
O2 now offers 'custom' tariffs which allow customers to choose how and when they pay for a device - but you could save £100s/yr by shopping around...
Read the full story:
'O2 launches 'custom' plans - but it'll cost you'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big 4 networks are thrashing around trying to preserve their profitable traditional business model against the onslaught of SIM only deals which cannier consumers recognise save them a great deal of money and don't necessarily tie them to a network.
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    just another ploy by a network to attract gullible punters with 'smoke and mirrors':rotfl:
    new plans promise customised deals, designed to better suit a customer's budget and needs.
    :rotfl:
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    And another network with up to 36 month agreements... didn’t OFCOM ban these a few years ago?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • PHKPHK Forumite
    229 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    You've misunderstood. It's the cost of the handset that is paid off up to 36months. (You can choose 3 to 36 months). The airtime contract is separate.
  • mobilejunkiemobilejunkie Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PHK wrote: »
    You've misunderstood. It's the cost of the handset that is paid off up to 36months. (You can choose 3 to 36 months). The airtime contract is separate.

BUT linked to the term of the handset repayhments. If it smells like a fish, looks like a fish and tastes like a fish...
  • japittsjapitts Forumite
    98 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    pmduk wrote: »
    The big 4 networks are thrashing around trying to preserve their profitable traditional business model against the onslaught of SIM only deals which cannier consumers recognise save them a great deal of money and don't necessarily tie them to a network.

To be fair there are some scenarios whereby it's better to get a handset-bundle tariff than SIM-only - when I was last "upgrading", it was only a couple of ££ extra a month (so about £50 or so over the 2years) between going the SIM-only route and getting my phone direct from EE. By going the handset route, EE threw in the 24hr replacement service (which I'd had to use on another account only a month or so previously) and a few other extras.. which made it worthwhile.

And Android devices especially don't tend to get network-extras like 4G-calling & WiFi calling, which can make the difference.

But these caveats aside, it doesn't take away from the principle - and when I priced up the O2 Flexible tariffs, they still worked out more expensive than other options.