Amazon

in Credit Cards
17 replies 4K views
I live in France and have made purchases on Visa and Mastercards from Amazon UK for years .However today they will not accept either card as they have a French billing address! anybody know why?
Thanks
Tim

Replies

• NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Credit Cards’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    I live in France and have made purchases on Visa and Mastercards from Amazon UK for years .However today they will not accept either card as they have a French billing address! anybody know why?
    Thanks
    Tim

What did they say when you asked them?
  • AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Amazon should have given you a reason: i.e. the product is already available on the Amazon site in your own county; a marketplace seller doesn't deliver to that country; there is a restriction for that item for international delivery; etc; etc.
  • How do you ask them? I can find no phone numbers, e mail addresses or even via other media,
    It was flagged up as soon as I chose the DVD, I never got as far as putting any card details.
  • flyer22flyer22 Forumite
    21 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh dear - I do hope this is not the start of Brexit things to come. Apologies for my countrymen’s ill made decisions
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    27.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't really think Amazon count as our countrymen. If they were they'd be paying a heck of sight more tax than they do now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    21 Posts
    Forumite
    Oh no I wasn't talking about Amazon. I meant those people in 50%+ part of the country duped by Brexiteer hogwash. Amazon and a lot of others should certainly pay more tax! However losing the formidable investigative functions of the European Commission in such matters in favour of our own over stretched and underfunded tax body is unlikely to change that any time soon. Instead the cheap, quick deals will continue.
  • tastyhogtastyhog Forumite
    815 Posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    And this just shows the type of anti brexit morons people have to deal with.

How anyone can link a card being declined and brexit just beggars belief.
    21 Posts
    Forumite
    I'd take care before you label other people 'morons' tastyhog. Many companies are already changing the way they trade in Europe as a result of the substantial negative ramifications Brexit (either soft or hard) will have for trade between the EU the UK. Perhaps you can offer jobs to all the Panasonic and other employees whose employers are already relocating their operations to the European mainland.

Decisions have consequences and those made without wider consideration of the effects they may bring are those worst made. Sterling has declined massively, the Government barely survives a week without a crisis that threatens to undo it, interest rates are rising despite the best efforts of the Treasury to keep them where they are, Trump's America couldn't care less whether it trades with us or not, the weekly shop is now significantly more expensive, EU nursing staff are leaving the NHS in droves, the NHS will not be getting the £350 million a week it was promised and if the EU doesn't agree to a deal with us by March - well - it just might be time to start stockpiling a bit of cash under the bed and keeping the boot of your car/a wheelbarrow handy in case you need to buy a loaf of bread.

Hopefully, for all our sakes it won't come to that but I'd wager that when you're filing in that 4 page form whilst standing in a 3 hour queue at immigration on your first post Brexit trip to Europe just maybe you'll realise who had the oops moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides