Powerful good cordless drill

Options
The old mans birthday rapidly approaches and he wants a new cordless drill....

Anyone got any personal recommendations? Decent power and battery life being the key metrics I suppose....

Cheers
{Signature removed by Forum Team}

Comments

• Fred56
    Fred56 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Stick to the respected brands. Dewalt, Makita, Bosch (blue professional ranges only). More expensive is pointless tool snobbery, cheaper is usually a disappointment. Really cheap like Silverline is recycling-ready straight off.
    In my experience Bosch is better than Makita and Makita is better than Dewalt except Makita had real trauma with their batteries a few years back.
    I'm a cheapskate so currently have Dewalt, one set of 10.8V and one set 18V. 10.8V now six years old and quite a revelation, much better than you might imagine. I do have four batteries though.
    If your Dad is drilling lots of masonry, get him an SDS rather than a combi. If he is more likely to be drilling timber, the combi is fine. Impact driver is now an essential for me, so perhaps the twin pack which works out a bit cheaper than buying two separates.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a 18v Dewalt which is fine. Go for two smaller batteries if you can rather than one bigger one. It makes the drill lighter to hold.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm happy with my Lidl Parkside branded drills. Fraction of the price of those mentioned so far. But only available occasionally sadly (meaning the batteries are frequently not interchangeable with older tools of the same voltage).

I'd be peeved if one of my sons bought me such a tool without checking with me first.
    The feel/balance/weight of the device is nearly as important as anything else!
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He asked for it, but didn't spec a model.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was looking about 80, but I could probably stretch to that.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    titan drills at screwfix pretty good and cheap. comes with two batteries.
  • newartriot
    Options
    What sort of budget do you have?

This Bosch blue drill is worth considering for £120, it was £108 a few weeks ago but £120 is still a good price IMO.

I bought this exact drill but with 2 x 2AH batteries and no drill bits from B&Q a few weeks ago. It was £86 in the clearance section. In store only but might be worth a look.
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go with something "popular" where you can get batteries from a variety of suppliers other than the manufacturer. That way you can a) get much cheaper batteries b) you'll still be able to get batteries for it after the manufacturer has lost interest.
    I got a Makita LXT drill for this reason.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newartriot wrote: »
    I bought this exact drill but with 2 x 2AH batteries and no drill bits from B&Q a few weeks ago. It was £86 in the clearance section. In store only but might be worth a look.

You might get a little more use from two batteries, but when one battery comes to the end of its life, the other one wont be far behind.
    In 5+ years time when you need to replace the batteries, technolgy will have changed, and you will probably opt to but a new drill/batteries kit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure