AmEx - Revolut Cashback

in Credit Cards
6 replies 9.3K views
I'm thinking of using my AmEx card to top up Revolut (so I get the 1% cashback, and don't have to carry the AmEx around). Do you know if a Revolut top-up is treated as a purchase?
[FONT=&quot]No part of this post should be viewed as advice.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Replies

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can top up Revolut using Visa, Maestro or MasterCard debit/credit cards, not Amex.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • The_UrbaniteThe_Urbanite Forumite
    319 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    No can do and I would strongly advise against trying to do anything that is against their T&Cs unless you're cool with them blacklisting you!
  • edited 24 August 2018 at 9:00AM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2018 at 9:00AM
    I have Amex Platinum Cashback and have always found their call centre staff helpful and upfront etc. when enquiring on this type of question.

Can Revolut be topped up from a PayPal account ?

If so, and you have linked your Amex to your PP that might be the way forward.

I don't use Revolut so I don't know the answer to that question one way, or the other, just a suggestion for further investigation.
  • Can Revolut be topped up from a PayPal account ?

No, it can't. There's no way to topup Revolut using an Amex card, at the moment.
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's somewhat of a moot point as Revolut doesn't accept Amex, but if they did it would be up to Amex to decide if they classified it as a purchase or a cash advance (some credit card companies consider it a CA when you load a prepaid card). Best chance would be to ask them what they do and do not consider a cash advance. You could look into other payment processors other than PayPal, which might offer a virtual debit card number or something, but I expect there would be fees which would ultimately eat up all of the Amex cashback.
  • Yeah don't do it. I tried it with my Natwest Cashback Credit card and they treat it as a cash advance and I've been charged 3% of the transaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides