Parental maintenance loan contribution if living abroad

Options
Hi - just trying to understand the rules about household income if one parent lives abroad. Is this ex pat income still counted as ‘household income’ - the children will be living away for uni and going back to their uk home at non term time.
I’m getting confusing messages from student finance.
Just don’t want to get caught out if I interpret the rules the wrong way.
Thanks

Comments

  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes both parents income is counted regardless of where they live.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Yes both parents income is counted regardless of where they live.

    That definitely isn't true if they have separated or divorced.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    That definitely isn't true if they have separated or divorced.

    She didn't say they had, just that one lives abroad.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the parents together ie as in in a relationship? If they are then both incomes will count even if one lives abroad.

    If they aren't together then it is the household income of the parent that the student lives with. If that parent has remarried or co-habits then the income of their new partner will also be taken into account.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    She didn't say they had, just that one lives abroad.


    Yes, but your first post made it seem like both incomes are always counted, which is clearly not correct, so clarification may help the OP (and of course, clarification from them will help us to give appropriate responses).
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Yes both parents income is counted regardless of where they live.
    I’m wondering how they can confirm the actual income of a parent if they live abroad.
    To be honest i expect to continue with a parental contribution voluntarily anyway as it keeps the loan value down (even though they are very unlikely to earn enough to pay it back).
    But just wondered how they would know/challenge the income of a parent not in the uk
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    chiefie wrote: »
    I’m wondering how they can confirm the actual income of a parent if they live abroad.
    To be honest i expect to continue with a parental contribution voluntarily anyway as it keeps the loan value down (even though they are very unlikely to earn enough to pay it back).
    But just wondered how they would know/challenge the income of a parent not in the uk

    Because they have to declare it and can be asked for evidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards