new building insurance - previous claims in residents association ??

Hello, I am about to buy a house and have started to look for house (building and contents) insurance. I am filling out the comparison website forms to get quotes and there's a question about how many years i've had buildings insurance and how many years of no-claims.
I'm not sure how to answer this question. I previously owned a flat in London, whcih was part of a residents association which was a group of 4 flats including mine. We bought buildings insurance under the name of the residents association - the whole building, and not our individual names. Can i therefore say that i have had buildings insurnace or does it not count because it wasn't me personally doing it on my own ?
To make matters a bit more commplicated we did make a few quite pricey claims because of leaky pipes in the flat above ours - do i need to declare these ? i'm hoping not but i need to be honest !
any advice gratefully received
thanks and all the best


  • ZorilloZorillo Forumite
    773 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    I'd say no to both questions, you've never had buildings insurance in your own name which means the claims aren't "yours" to disclose.

    If you tick yes in the hope for a discount, you'd be obliged to declare the claims as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides