Water Company Problem


Since about last October our Water Company have been out to our home at least fortnightly to clear blockages in our sewer drain. A property further down appears to be having problems that their drain keeps filling up, although luckily we experience no problems, just the inconvenience of them coming uannounced or arranging to come and not turning up but saying they have.

If we're not in and are expecting them we always leave the gate unlocked so they can access the garden where the manhole covers are but I don't like to leave it unlocked all the time.

To tell you the truth, I'm sick of them coming and I want them to sort the drains once and for all, how can I force them to do this. Tonight they've been again, at 9.45 pm and they've just left. I did get a call earlier from their HO asking if they could arrange an appointment but she didn't mention they were coming tonight and they just turned up. In fact she said she'd ring me back in 30 minutes once she'd had a look at their records but I heard no more.

They've had cameras down more times than I can remember, small vans jetting, big vans jetting, said there must be rats down there, I feel like I'm an expert myself now.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I can do to make them resolve this.

Ms C
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time


  • sbk1
    sbk1 Posts: 26 Forumite

    You could write to them with the time and dates of each previous visit and the nature of the inconvenience caused. You can then give them a deadline to resolve the matter. State that if it isn't resolved by then you will charge them for ongoing inconvenience. You can give an hourly rate or whatever you think is reasonable.

    Alternatively, you can simply request compensation for the inconvenience to your private enjoyment of your property.

    Good luck
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Contact the Consumer Council for Water
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,481
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bit late to this thread but....it could be that the pipework,between your neighbour's drains and your property, has sunk slightly creating a low point, where solid waste can sit particularly when there is little flow eg overnight.
    As I understand it, the Water Cos. have been obliged to deal with blockages in shared sewers but I don't think they have to relay drains -that would probably be down to the householder(s) to sort/pay for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards