kWh usage

Options
Lither
Lither Posts: 15 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
My parents are leaving EON to a different supplier but they haven't provided meter readings for a while and they have received a letter of their annual gas and electricity kWh usage, are these based on estimates or actual usage?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless the meters have been read recently they are estimates .

Final bill needs to be based upon actual meter readings as does new supply .
  • Lither
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Unless the meters have been read recently they are estimates .

Final bill needs to be based upon actual meter readings as does new supply .
    When signing up to the new supplier online, I will put in the kWh usage EON provided me but does the new supplier base it on that usage or only the first month and then the rest is actual usage if my parents provide them readings every month?
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go and read the meters then give those readings to E.On and you should get an accurate updated bill.

Does the letter from E.On say ESTIMATED usage or something along the lines of "this is what you have used" - if estimated, do not give that to the new supplier or use it on a comparison site.

They may have been overpaying or seriously underpaying and have either a rebate due or a large ctchup bill waiting to floor them, so get over there and do an accurate set of readings.

As a rough guide, look at their useage - what appliances do they use, how high and how long is the heating on, etc etc and make your own estimate from that.
  • Lither
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Go and read the meters then give those readings to E.On and you should get an accurate updated bill.

Does the letter from E.On say ESTIMATED usage or something along the lines of "this is what you have used" - if estimated, do not give that to the new supplier or use it on a comparison site.

They may have been overpaying or seriously underpaying and have either a rebate due or a large ctchup bill waiting to floor them, so get over there and do an accurate set of readings.

As a rough guide, look at their useage - what appliances do they use, how high and how long is the heating on, etc etc and make your own estimate from that.
    My parents sent me a picture of the letter and it says "your annual usage (actual)" but I'm wondering how would they know without giving them meter readings?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lither wrote: »
    My parents sent me a picture of the letter and it says "your annual usage (actual)" but I'm wondering how would they know without giving them meter readings?
    They don't. Even when they do have regular monthly readings their annual use figures are a work of fiction !
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents are leaving EON to a different supplier but they haven't provided meter readings for a while and they have received a letter of their annual gas and electricity kWh usage, are these based on estimates or actual usage?
    When signing up to the new supplier online, I will put in the kWh usage EON provided me but does the new supplier base it on that usage or only the first month and then the rest is actual usage if my parents provide them readings every month?

Hello Lither and welcome to the Forums.

As D_M_E says, please let us have meter readings and we'll be happy to bill up to date. If your parents have registered with our website, this can be done online through the Real Time Billing tool. This needs to be done before they start a switch. Once in progress, the account will be locked down whilst the switch goes through and you won't be able to enter readings.

Although not recently, have they given us readings in the past or has a meter reader called? Alternatively, do they have smart meters? Readings from any of these sources will be shown with a letter A after the reading on the bills.

Annual summaries are based on the information we have on the account. The more actual meter readings received, the more accurate the summary will be.

Hope this is of interest Lither. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Lither
    Options
    Hello Lither and welcome to the Forums.

As D_M_E says, please let us have meter readings and we'll be happy to bill up to date. If your parents have registered with our website, this can be done online through the Real Time Billing tool. This needs to be done before they start a switch. Once in progress, the account will be locked down whilst the switch goes through and you won't be able to enter readings.

Although not recently, have they given us readings in the past or has a meter reader called? Alternatively, do they have smart meters? Readings from any of these sources will be shown with a letter A after the reading on the bills.

Annual summaries are based on the information we have on the account. The more actual meter readings received, the more accurate the summary will be.

Hope this is of interest Lither. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    They have submitted a switch to a different supplier via the energy club today and they don't have an online account so is it best to ring EON tomorrow and provide them with the gas and electricity readings for an up to date final bill?

Also, they have a standard gas and electricity meter and have given readings in the past (about a year ago).
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,130 Forumite
    Options
    Yes do ring Eon with the readings but this will not be your final bill - that will only be generated when the switch is complete.

If the bill that is generated tomorrow is a debit then Eon may block the swop.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Lither
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Yes do ring Eon with the readings but this will not be your final bill - that will only be generated when the switch is complete.

If the bill that is generated tomorrow is a debit then Eon may block the swop.
    They are on a variable quarterly direct debit (not fixed amount) and after I give EON the meter readings tomorrow, a bill will be generated straight away?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have submitted a switch to a different supplier via the energy club today and they don't have an online account so is it best to ring EON tomorrow and provide them with the gas and electricity readings for an up to date final bill?

Also, they have a standard gas and electricity meter and have given readings in the past (about a year ago).
    They are on a variable quarterly direct debit (not fixed amount) and after I give EON the meter readings tomorrow, a bill will be generated straight away?

Hello Lither and thanks for coming back to me.

Yes, please ask them to call in with readings. If the new supplier has already applied for the account, it might be too late to enter them now. As I mentioned yesterday, accounts are locked down once a switch is in progress. If they haven't applied yet, we'll issue a bill to your parent's readings immediately.

As Robin9 says, it won't be the final bill. This will follow once the new supplier has given us their opening readings. We'll use the same readings to raise our final bill. This stops the same energy from being charged twice.

If the account is locked, we can still use their readings, along with those they gave about a year ago, to give them an idea of how much energy they've used over the past 12 months.

Hope this explains Lither. Let me know if you need further details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure