Requesting a default to improve credit rating

Options
User0251287
User0251287 Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 13 August 2018 at 10:52AM in Credit file & ratings
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice on defaults and credit reports. In Q3 2012 I had run up unsecured debts of around £20k ( aged 23!). I entered into a DMP with Stepchange/CCCS and managed to repay the debts within 4 years due to most of my creditors kindly freezing interest and charges! All my debts are now settled :j Several of my creditors defaulted me after missing a few payments and these defaulted debts have now dropped off my report :T. Three of my creditiors (RBS, Barclaycard and Newday) did not default me and my question relates to whether I can ask them to retrospectively add a default date in order for the debts and payment history to disappear off my credit report?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can ask.

But if they!!!8217;ve marked them as AP then that!!!8217;s correct
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    You can ask.

But if they've marked them as AP then that's correct
    Ditto to this.

@OP - Well done on becoming debt free!!! :j
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • User0251287
    Options
    Thanks! Have you heard of any successes with this method?
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    I managed to get Barclays to remove my AP from my file, after arguing that it put me in a far worse position than a default. It's definitely worth a go. Although if they you're no longer paying them they may not be as forthcoming.

But, don't ask, don't get. Send a letter to each of the creditors stating your case, and go from there.
  • User0251287
    User0251287 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Thanks all. I have sent emails to all 3 via resolver after doing some research. I will update as to how I get on for anyone else who may stumble across this post.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember that your credit rating is only seen by yourself and no 1 else, lenders see your history.
  • User0251287
    Options
    Yes but my understanding is that if the debts are defaulted back to 2012 when I originally fell into arrears, the history for each of these debts will disappear 6 years after the date of default. This will improve my own credit rating and should make me more attractive to mortgage lenders
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It will make it look more attractive to lenders because you no longer have the defaults on your credit files yes.

But not for the made up score or rating that no one sees
  • User0251287
    Options
    I do not have defaults on my credit report. I think you have misunderstood my original post. I understand the score is made up by Experian. I am trying to improve my chance of a mortgage by cleaning up my credit history. I am asking lenders to default my accounts back to 2011 so that the adverse information disappears from my report.

FIRST SUCCESS! Barclaycard called less than 24hrs after sending my complaint via resolve and agreed to my request. One step closer to a successful mortgage application. Just RBS and NewDay to go :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure