PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with nightmarish upstairs neighbour.

Options
13»

Comments

• InterestedParty2018
    Options
    This neighbour is obviously causing you issues.

As you know about all his complaints, I assume your landlord has relayed them to you. Is your landlord concerned? I suspect not, as your OP would then mention this.

Therefore you really have two choices:

1. Ignore it. Its obviously not bothering your landlord sufficiently to service you with notice of any breaches (ie noise disturbance etc). Other than the occasion he banged on the ceiling during the day, you say he doesn't approach you, only your landlord. So be it, get on with enjoying your life and dont stop entertaining, dont get rid of your pet(s).

2. Move. If you can not enjoy the home because of the anxiousness it is causing you and you feel uncomfortable because of him, move. Find a home which you can relax in with your friends... .and your pet(s).

Good Luck.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    There's a bully on the block.

I take it you've tried the landlord, the next step is the council and if you feel threatened the police. He may well stop then.

It may be easier to just move if you are renting? Your going to have to fight this if you want to stay where you are. I'd say fight it, and if it isn't resolved to your satisfaction its easy to move out.
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Completely understand your stress. We are currently living in a downstairs flat in a converted building, and my upstairs neighbour has been screaming and shouting at us repeatedly and banging on the floor at us every time they get upset - be it noise, rubbish bins, keys, etc. Complaints to the housing association have been going on for 10 months now, and it's still going on. Police called numerous times, still going on. This is just normal living noise, and only during the day (generally between the hours of 10am and 7pm) - each time he's come down screaming it has been during the day. No noise from us at night at all. Housing association wants us to go to mediation. I just want them to leave us alone. It's gotten so bad that it's affecting my children - they're both disabled and this has ramped their anxiety up unbelievably. My children do make a little noise, but nothing unreasonable, while we get treated to listening to him and his girlfriend have screaming domestics on a regular basis. It's maddening. We've reached a point where we are looking to move, as clearly the housing association is not going to resolve this and police are leaving it up to the housing association.

This kind of thing just takes over your life, doesn't it?
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    jalderton wrote: »
    !!!8230; Upstairs neighbour also has the cheek to hoover at 9 at night, and last night he was up walking around heavily in his flat until nearly midnight.

I!!!8217;m just really reaching the end of my patience here, the feeling of constantly being monitored by him is driving me insane. I!!!8217;m anxious all the time about making any noise, I don!!!8217;t even dare to dry my hair for work in the mornings anymore. It!!!8217;s almost like he!!!8217;s entirely fixated on me and I!!!8217;m the sole focus of his rage. If anyone can offer me any advice I would really appreciate it. I have no family in the area so I!!!8217;m all alone in this situation.

Commiserations. I had a very similar situation last year with an AS upstairs neighbour. As you say, the sense that you are being constantly monitored gets to you and it was clear that harassing me was the most important thing in his tiny world.

I can only agree with earlier advice to look at moving on. At least you are at the point in the tenancy where you only need give one month's notice. It's unfair that you should have to be the one to leave, but short of the LL installing major soundproofing, it'll continue to be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure