124»

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    Cliddy wrote: »
    So if I change anything I need a safe, secure, probably low return investment. But more than sticking it in 5 year savings account.

Sounds like you might as well put the lot into something like VLS60, HSBC GS Balanced or Consensus 70 with a bit of cash for when markets are low. What you have now does not look like what you want.

Alex
  • Cliddy
    Cliddy Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Would have helped to have the %.
    This portfolio has probably served you well, but won't going forward. Sell Everything unless you have a few favourites or convictions that they will do well, and buy one or two global funds with the proceeds at a risk level that fits what you want.

Thank you, others probably won't agree, but that's the soundest and nearest to my thinking that's come across.

Don't worry I won't just take one person's advice, as I'm big enough and ugly enough to form my own opinion as well.

Many thanks for contribution.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So if I change anything I need a safe, secure, probably low return investment. But more than sticking it in 5 year savings account.
    Maybe cashing it all in and investing into something like VLS40 or HSBC Global Strategy Cautious would be more suitable if you're now looking for much lower risk.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you, others probably won't agree, but that's the soundest and nearest to my thinking that's come across.

Don't worry I won't just take one person's advice, as I'm big enough and ugly enough to form my own opinion as well.

Many thanks for contribution.

I am taking my own advice, I'm in a similar position to you, i have a real mish mash of funds in one of my two SIPPs (the other is very global 100% equities invested in 4 funds), all there for a variety of reasons, all good at the time, possibly not the best fit now and I'm gradually over the next few years rationalising down and also moving to more income funds.

I've done the biggie already, nothing less than 5% was kept and in the main it was reinvested into existing funds or used to buy just one extra fund, eg sell five buy one sort of thing. In your case you'd move from a somewhat crazy 31 to a maximum of 20. At present you might distracted because XYZ fund rises or falls 20 or 30%, but if its only got a £500 in it it doesnt matter.
  • Cliddy
    Cliddy Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I am taking my own advice, I'm in a similar position to you, i have a real mish mash of funds in one of my two SIPPs (the other is very global 100% equities invested in 4 funds), all there for a variety of reasons, all good at the time, possibly not the best fit now and I'm gradually over the next few years rationalising down and also moving to more income funds.

I've done the biggie already, nothing less than 5% was kept and in the main it was reinvested into existing funds or used to buy just one extra fund, eg sell five buy one sort of thing. In your case you'd move from a somewhat crazy 31 to a maximum of 20. At present you might distracted because XYZ fund rises or falls 20 or 30%, but if its only got a £500 in it it doesnt matter.

Thanks for this. I'm going to start progressively thinning them out, certainly starting with the low value ones. Of which there's plenty. Might be easier to see the wood from the trees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure