A good cheap investment manager ?

Options

Comments

• OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cliddy wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'm fully retired, company pension and SP. No debts. So money is for luxuries, travel and health type emergencies etc. So definitely not very long term.
    I suppose I too would be looking for secure growth, able to see through global upsets (Trump) and not expecting unreasonable returns.
    The problem is my current portfolio developed over the last 10 years or so has produced good returns based on my requirements above.
    So I ask myself why change. BUT ...... they were selected by me, so something must be wrong !!!
    Like AlanP says, anyone could have done that over the last 10 years. Pretty much everything has gone up due to fiscal policies that are now being unwound.

Here's your conundrum. There is no such thing as "secure growth" in investments. We are likely to be facing bigger market swings in the next 5 years than we have seen recently, so do you have a set of funds that is at the risk level you want to take on?

If it were me, I would be looking at holding a combination of cash and lower equity ratio passive funds if the money was to be spent over the next 5 years or so, but I am very risk averse. More risk-embracing types would probably say keep it invested in higher risk funds and use a withdrawal-rate approach each year. If you have a bad year and the funds go down, don't take any money out, or take out less than you would in a good year.
  • Cliddy
    Cliddy Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    My answer. If you've got 25 funds ina small to medium sized investment, let's say under £100k, then the odds are you've created your own personal but more expensive global tracker.

The other thing that comes up here often is that people have tiny amounts in some funds, let's say again in the context of your (my guess) £100k, under £1k, eg less than 1%, which is a bit pointless.

And finally as others have posted, if you bought those with a strategy in mind and are keeping them all at 4% that's quite a lot of work, possibly with buy sell cost as well.

If you are feeling bold, post them here.:D

Good guess, yes just under £100k, I'll take you up on your challenge and list them here. It'll have to be tomorrow now. Watch this space, if you promise not to mock !!
  • Cliddy
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    My answer. If you've got 25 funds ina small to medium sized investment, let's say under £100k, then the odds are you've created your own personal but more expensive global tracker.

The other thing that comes up here often is that people have tiny amounts in some funds, let's say again in the context of your (my guess) £100k, under £1k, eg less than 1%, which is a bit pointless.

And finally as others have posted, if you bought those with a strategy in mind and are keeping them all at 4% that's quite a lot of work, possibly with buy sell cost as well.

If you are feeling bold, post them here.:D

Well you did ask, here they are! Until I came on this forum I didn't know I'd be ashamed of the numbers.
    They are split between my wife's and my account, some duplicated across both.
    Some very small amounts (£200 ish) about £100k total.
    I'm looking for shortish timescale return (probably around 5 years) low risk and therefore acceptance of a lower return. They are all in an ISA.

Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% Equity A Inc

Stewart Investors AsiaPac Ldrs B Inc GBP

Rathbone Global Opportunities I Acc

Neptune India C Acc GBP

M&G Global Macro Bond GBP I Acc

Lindsell Train Global Equity B GBP Inc

Jupiter Asian Income I GBP Inc

JPMorgan Global Emerg Mkts Inc Ord

JPM Emerging Markets Income C Net Inc

HSBC FTSE 250 Index C Acc

Fundsmith Equity I Inc

Fidelity MltAsst Inc & Gr N Inc

Janus Henderson UK Absolute Return I Acc

Fidelity Multi Asset Defensive N Acc

Fidelity MoneyBuilder Income Y Acc

Fidelity Global Special Sits W Acc

Fidelity American W Acc GBP

BNY Mellon Long-Term Global Eq Int W Acc

BlackRock Frontiers Ord

BlackRock Consensus 70 D Acc

Baillie Gifford Global Discovery B Acc

Stewart Investors AsiaPac Ldrs B Inc GBP

Scottish Mortgage Ord

Premier Multi-Asset Distribution C Inc

Liontrust Macro Equity Income I Inc

Janus Henderson Global Technology I Acc

Finsbury Growth & Income Ord

Fidelity MltAsst Income N Inc

Fidelity Global Dividend W Inc

Fidelity China Focus Y-Dis-GBP

Fidelity China Consumer W Acc
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow......!
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Well you did ask, here they are! Until I came on this forum I didn't know I'd be ashamed of the numbers.
    They are split between my wife's and my account, some duplicated across both.
    Some very small amounts (£200 ish) about £100k total.
    I'm looking for shortish timescale return (probably around 5 years) low risk and therefore acceptance of a lower return. They are all in an ISA.

I would class most of the funds you have chosen as higher return/higher risk and do not satisfy your requirements. With that portfolio it would seem that you have a non-trivial risk of losing out over 5 years, though that obviously depends on the % allocation, which you havent specified. 5 years is an often quoted minimum to be seriously invested in equities at all.
  • Cliddy
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    I would class most of the funds you have chosen as higher return/higher risk and do not satisfy your requirements. With that portfolio it would seem that you have a non-trivial risk of losing out over 5 years, though that obviously depends on the % allocation, which you havent specified. 5 years is an often quoted minimum to be seriously invested in equities at all.

But the point is they were chosen 10 years ago at least. So adding on the future 5 years that would seem to fit a fairly sensible choice, back then, and of course they have done well over that time.

My problem is that now I will want to secure that profit and have funds that will see me securely through the final 5 years. I'm not intending to pop off then, but may want to start cashing in.

Are there any obvious ones that I could keep and dispose of the remainder, or is that going a stage too far on a forum.
    By the way I started this thread seeking advice on a new platform.
    I think I'll drop that now, at least for the time being.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 10 August 2018 at 8:17PM
    Options
    But the point is they were chosen 10 years ago at least. So adding on the future 5 years that would seem to fit a fairly sensible choice, back then, and of course they have done well over that time.

My problem is that now I will want to secure that profit and have funds that will see me securely through the final 5 years. I'm not intending to pop off then, but may want to start cashing in.

Are there any obvious ones that I could keep and dispose of the remainder, or is that going a stage too far on a forum.
    By the way I started this thread seeking advice on a new platform.
    I think I'll drop that now, at least for the time being.

Will you really convert the lot to cash in 5 years time or will it be an ongoing source of income? If the latter how often will want cash and how much?

If you will want 100% cash in 5 years time you could put say 50% in cash now and then reduce your other holdings over time.

If you will still be looking for a long term investment then there are other options.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where to start...? How about why did you go for both VLS80 and Blackrock Consensus 70? What is your actual tollerence to percentage loss across the whole account? Are you OK if the whole portfolio goes down 50% for a while?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Would have helped to have the %.
    This portfolio has probably served you well, but won't going forward. Sell Everything unless you have a few favourites or convictions that they will do well, and buy one or two global funds with the proceeds at a risk level that fits what you want.
  • Cliddy
    Options
    Considering I didn't start the thread with this in mind, it's probably got out of control now answering all the specific questions. Not that I don't appreciate the help.

I really am not planning my future to that extent. I have sufficient income to live comfortably and see these particular investments as a safety net for the nasty things that can happen in old age. And more positively to enable luxuries as and when.

So if I change anything I need a safe, secure, probably low return investment. But more than sticking it in 5 year savings account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure