Debate House Prices

Since the Forum relaunch, in order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

High Street names that have completely vanished

12345679»

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,873
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    In remember clothing store C&A used to be everywhere. Never knew it stood for Clemens and August
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • I'll add a few more:

Stolen from Ivor
    Andy's records
    Gamestation
    (those 3 are favourites from my teenage years)

Not to mention:
    Index
    Rapid Hardware (a Liverpool Stalwart)
    Lewis's
    Dillons
    Dunnes Stores (still in Ireland but pulled out of UK - like Primark but better!)
  • zagubov wrote: »
    In remember clothing store C&A used to be everywhere. Never knew it stood for Clemens and August

C&A - still in Germany. and apparently other European countries and Mexico and Brazil.
    Loved this shop!
    Back on the trains again!

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The REAL Body shop, the one Anita opened in Brighton selling from large jars into your own containers.
    Now long gone and L'Oreal insist everything is prepacked just like all the other similar shops.
  • For high streets to thrive you need footfall and therefore you need all or a variety of the following....

-A cinema placed in the town centre so people have to walk past shops to get to it.

-A decent sized residential area, as well as offices, nearby.

-Restaurants and Coffee shops have become a popular addition to our high streets. I think it used to just be pubs and fast food chains back in the 90's.

-Maybe we need cheap/free and convenient parking too.

These days it seems people want to go to town to watch a film and get food......I think the shopping comes last.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure