Bank withdrawal

Options

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John the answer is a definite NO!

There are ways around it for example she could transfer money to someone else' s account with the mobile app or internet banking.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JohnLock wrote: »
    Hi,

If my partner gave me her Lloyds bank card, can I go into the bank (as a man, her partner) and withdraw £3k cash from her account at a cashier, without her being there?

Or will they spot that I'm a man using a women's account and lock the account?

I know her pin number etc.

Short answer: No, you can't.

Longer answer: No you can't - but if you know her PIn you could withdraw cash (not £3k though!) from the cash machine. Don't ask at the counter, don't tell them your partner gave you permission, don't ask her to ring them. None of that will work and may well result in her account getting blocked - either because they think she's breaking the terms of the account or maybe even they suspect you're a fraudster (and how on earth would they know you weren't??)

Additional answer: If you don't like people giving you helpful factual answers don't ask!
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    As above, plus if you start withdrawing the max amount per day from an atm and it's a new account then I wouldn't put it past them to block the account - I would...

You could lend her 3k and pay off the debt and she repays you when she comes back.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, if some woman went into the bank with my bank card and said she was my partner and they gave her £3k cash from my account I would not be impressed.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Hi,

If my partner gave me her Lloyds bank card, can I go into the bank (as a man, her partner) and withdraw £3k cash from her account at a cashier, without her being there?

Or will they spot that I'm a man using a women's account and lock the account?

I know her pin number etc.

You obviously suspect that you can't do this or you wouldn't be asking a bunch of strangers what they think and whether a man using a woman's card would arouse suspicion.

Why would she go on holiday and give you the card and PIN to a new account and how did this £3K debt spring up out of nowhere?

The more unkind amongst us might believe she has gone on holiday, her new card and PIN have arrived in her absence and you are planning on taking advantage - I'm not one of those unkind people, by the way.

I presume the cashiers no longer ask for secondary ID when disbursing cash over the counter.

And, if you do want to try it, locking the account would be the least of your/her worries; the bank could retain the card and call the police. Perhaps a wig, a skirt and a bit of lippy might get you past first base though.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    omg, shouldn't have asked here, load of jobsworths on this website

Well the advice you were given is perfectly fine, why not tell us what advice you wanted in the first place.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Yet another poster wanting us to tell them that they are right about everything, rather than wanting honest and informed answers to their questions. Is it just me, or is this becoming more common?
  • Super_Whiskey
    Options
    The bank will ask you for id and probably security questions as well.

As for the debt, can whoever it is being paid to not take a card payment? Otherwise, I'm sure it can wait until she's back from holiday.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As for the debt, can whoever it is being paid to not take a card payment? Otherwise, I'm sure it can wait until she's back from holiday.
    I find it hard to believe that OP wouldn't have considered a card payment when he's in possession of card and PIN (plus some anatomical inconveniences!), so suspect that the desire to get hold of £3K in cash means that this is the sort of debt that is unlikely to wait - perhaps when OP has rounded up all of the toys that were unceremoniously despatched from the pram, he'll be back to rejoin the discussion and clarify....
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 August 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    If my partner gave me her Lloyds bank card, can I go into the bank (as a man, her partner) and withdraw £3k cash from her account at a cashier, without her being there?...

...I know her pin number etc.
    No, you shouldn't do that as the account will get frozen.
    My partner is on holiday though and phoned me to ask me to withdraw the money to pay off a debt
    pramsay13 wrote: »
    Why not use phone or internet banking to transfer the money to you and then you can withdraw in cash if required.
    No, my partner's account doesn't have telephone or internet banking set up because it's a new account and she hasn't got round to doing it yet.
    Possible solution:
    If your partner phoned you, then she can also phone her bank direct to arrange a transfer. Because she has not set up her telephone banking she will have to answer a lot of security questions. For what it is worth, I have done a transfer/payment over the phone without having telephone banking set up.

Good luck!!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family