NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Has PIP transfer paused?

I'm just wondering, as three years later I still haven't had the dreaded letter from DLA to apply for PIP.

I understand there are 1.6 million reviews, has the transfer paused until these reviews are done?

I've probably jinxed myself now! But I obviously can't ring up as I don't want them to catch me! I live in West London.
«1

Replies

  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    later wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, as three years later I still haven't had the dreaded letter from DLA to apply for PIP.

    I understand there are 1.6 million reviews, has the transfer paused until these reviews are done?

    I've probably jinxed myself now! But I obviously can't ring up as I don't want them to catch me! I live in West London.
    No it hasn't, people are still being transferred across. You and most likely thousands of others are still waiting. They are just massively behind.
  • later wrote: »

    I've probably jinxed myself now! But I obviously can't ring up as I don't want them to catch me! I live in West London.


    Catch you? It sounds as though you are doing something wrong, using a phrase like that. I'll assume that it's just an unfortunate choice of words though.


    The transfers are ongoing, but as Poppy says, they are way behind schedule. In addition to the reviews, there are the new claims, the transfers at age 16 (which currently seem to be happening fairly quickly in my area), plus the claims that have requested Mandatory Reconsideration and tribunal. My son is still on DLA, and I'm aware that he will transfer at some point.


    Whilst you are still waiting, have you familiarised yourself with the process? PIP is points based, so you may want to read the descriptors. There are a number of people who won't qualify for PIP, even if they have been on DLA for a long time, as the criteria is cdifferent. There is also no lower rate.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    My daughter had an indefinate DLA award she is being transferred over her assessment is later today .
  • laterlater Forumite
    48 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Catch you? It sounds as though you are doing something wrong, using a phrase like that. I'll assume that it's just an unfortunate choice of words though.

    I mean catch as in remember me! I'm not doing anything wrong; I'm registered deaf. I am very entitled to DLA and had an indefinite award, but under the current PIP regs, I'm not!
  • later wrote: »
    I mean catch as in remember me! I'm not doing anything wrong; I'm registered deaf. I am very entitled to DLA and had an indefinite award, but under the current PIP regs, I'm not!


    Fair enough, just unfortunate wording :o


    I assume that you have read the descriptors as you say that you are not entitled to a PIP award. As the two benefits have different criteria, then I don't think that there is anything that you can do apart from wait until the DWP contact you.



    My son also has an indefinite award. I expected to be contacted in 2014, when he turned 16. I rang to ask about it, as Motability had been in touch regarding changing his car. I was told at the time that indefinite awards were being left until last, and that dated awards (at the time) were being contacted about six months late for those turning 16. Because my son was on an indefinite award, rather than being awarded until his 16th birthday, I was told to wait, but it could get to 2017 before I was contacted (I am my son's appointee, so they contact me instead of him). My son is now twenty, and still no sign of being transferred to PIP, although I believe that the DWP started to contact those with indefinite awards some time ago.



    The latest date that I have heard about for the end of the changeover period is sometime next year, but I can't remember where I read it.
  • laterlater Forumite
    48 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ah, okay. So I'll just be thankful for having it thus far! I understand if I apply, if they turn me down I they'll pay me the next payment and the one after that, so I have two payments' notice!

    It's just a bit of a kicker because that *does* come in handy, especially when I have to buy HA batteries from Boots when I forget them, and unpaid time off work to attend appointments!
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

    Have a look at the descriptors, especially 7 about communicating and 9 which is about engaging with people face to face.
    You need 8 points to qualify for Standard rate Daily Living( which is the equivalent of Care)
  • naf123naf123 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    later wrote: »
    I mean catch as in remember me! I'm not doing anything wrong; I'm registered deaf. I am very entitled to DLA and had an indefinite award, but under the current PIP regs, I'm not!

    There is a lot of confusion regarding deaf.

    It really depends on

    How is your speech. Do people understand you?
    How is your communication skills? Do you understand people?

    etc

    Yes there are many people who are "deaf" but communicate fairly well hence they may struggle to get PIP.

    but on the other hand there are deaf people who struggle big time yet finding it hard to get PIP because the assessors don't quite understand. They think all deaf people are the same. "Hey look, if person A who is deaf and communicates well, doesn't get PIP, why should you, Person B, who is deaf , get PIP"
  • later wrote: »
    Ah, okay. So I'll just be thankful for having it thus far! I understand if I apply, if they turn me down I they'll pay me the next payment and the one after that, so I have two payments' notice!

    It's just a bit of a kicker because that *does* come in handy, especially when I have to buy HA batteries from Boots when I forget them, and unpaid time off work to attend appointments!

    I got my letter with the PIP decision on 16th July. My next payment is 7th August which is the day my DLA Mobility stops and, as far as I know, they aren't paying me anything for that on 7th August.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I got my letter with the PIP decision on 16th July. My next payment is 7th August which is the day my DLA Mobility stops and, as far as I know, they aren't paying me anything for that on 7th August.
    DLA continues for 4 weeks after the PIP decision. PIP then starts and first payment is 4 weeks later. DLA and PIP are paid 4 weeks in arrears, you will have a payment on 7th August.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals