Options
13»

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SaveMeDo wrote: »
    I had had premium rate bar on, that is why if think O2 bare responsibility for my loss.

I learned the lesson about "premium rate" scams when I had a problem with my Sky broadband connection, I looked on the internet for the Sky phone number, rang them sorted the problem.

On checking the credit on the phone after, I found the the call had cost me £15 pounds!!!!!!

I phoned Three, and they said that the number I had phoned was a re-direct service that charges premium rates! Yeah!

Three customer services were very good and refunded me, but why is this sort of scam even legal?

Anyway, lesson learned, now the first thing I do is get the premium rate bar put on, It still didn't stop this weekly billing scam.

The entire mobile phone industry is riddle with corrupt practices, it is like entering a sewer full of rats!

Sky have a freephone number. This is now free from mobile phones.

In addition, their website says calls to their 03 number are free for Sky Talk and Sky Mobile customers.

But this isn't about premium rate texts.

How many times does it need to be said - contact the number provider to be unsubscribed and ask for a refund.

Whether you do so or not, kindly stop trying to make other readers feel that that this can't be done.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Here's the thing, how many people, the elderly and disabled, are paying £4.50 a week to these scammers?

Hundreds, Thousands, Tens of thousands?
    Likely in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands. But, here's the thing, If that activity generates only two or three complaints a week to the regulator, how would the regulator know the true number of people being ripped off?

I am aware of a different premium rate scam (the "call connection service" scam) that snags at least several thousand victims per day. The regulator is lucky to receive two complaints or reports a week, more likely that number per month!

I learned the lesson about "premium rate" scams when I had a problem with my Sky broadband connection, I looked on the internet for the Sky phone number, rang them sorted the problem. On checking the credit on the phone after, I found the the call had cost me £15 pounds!!!!!! I phoned Three, and they said that the number I had phoned was a re-direct service that charges premium rates! Yeah! Three customer services were very good and refunded me, but why is this sort of scam even legal?

The thread on MSE warning about this particular scam is read by less than ten people per day - less than 5000 people since it was originally posted. There are more victims of this scam in 36 hours than have read the warning in more than 18 months.
  • SaveMeDo
    SaveMeDo Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did the OP ever get this sorted?

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Having the premium rate bar doesn't stop this scam, and the networks just fob you off.

Anyone?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's very difficult to prevent, but there are basic rules,
    1. Keep an eye on your bill, if it's for more than usual, make sure you investigate why. Some networks let you keep an eye on interim spending between bills, perhaps spend 2 minutes each week looking at that.
    2. Never ignore unexpected texts warning you of a new subscription.
    3. For those people caught by call forwarding services, try to remember that Google is funded by selling top listing to companies who pay for those spots. It does not give any guarantee of their legitimacy. Always double check the company providing the information.
    4. As with everything else in life, if it looks too good to be true, it's probably a con
    5. Move to a network with better protection. Make sure your network knows that's why you're leaving. EE, for example, apparently makes companies use a double sign-up, customers are sent a PIN to enter to confirm the consent.
    6. Make your MP earn their money by doing something about these "services"

I'm sure others will add to this list.
  • Wsb5tails
    Wsb5tails Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The regulator has accepted the case and is now dealing
  • Martin50
    Martin50 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Coming to this late but:

The regulator is an industry body and is of limited use to consumers - it can't take matters up on behalf of individuals. Part of the business model for these scammers seems to be to make it difficult enough to get a refund that many people won't bother, and I don't see the regulator doing anything to change that.

MSE is an incredibly useful resource with accounts of how people have obtained refunds, links to websites with more information, and so on. And there are people lobbying their MPs, which is what it will take to change the system. One thing that does come across from other peoples' experience is that it does seem to be worth holding out for a 100% refund even if at first that isn't what you are offered.
  • Wsb5tails
    Wsb5tails Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Whether it was regulator enquiries or my belligerence,
    i have been sent a code for a payment of the full amount that they had taken without authorisation. Sadly the PO were unable to pay me due to system issue so I will try elsewhere next week.

But for anyone else in this situation in future, don't be fobbed off.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad you've finally got it sorted. Thanks for updating us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure