Just been fired , Was a childcare Nursery nurse now looking for retail ; CV help?

Options

Comments

• apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Doesn't exactly agree with your choice of thread title - "Just been fired ...."

So, if you weren't fired/dismissed by your employer how did your employment end?

I meant before this happened -
    I did get fired from my current job I do apologise. but not for any before that
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I'm simply going to reflect back what your CV / application is going to say.... you worked in retail whilst a student, since 2014 you have had several different employers, the most recent of which dismissed you, something which your reference is likely to mention. Your explanation, truthful or not, is that this is all somebody else's fault - your employers, your parents.... That is all going to go down like a lead balloon. How are you going to convince somebody that you are reliable?
  • Feyfangirl
    Feyfangirl Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2018 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Childcare is unfortunately a notoriously !!!!!y, rather toxic sector to work in at the moment. If you find yourself with a good team, great. If you happen to not fit in with the "clique" you are screwed. As horrible as an experience this has been for you, chalk it up to experience, that you've gained valuable knowledge to help you in future. (had a similar experience myself recently)

Did you get on with a senior staff member there? they may be able to give you a personal reference? Or even if you do just go for a general reference... it's better than nothing. :)

When writing a cover letter you could cite that whilst you have experience in care and that you enjoyed working within the sector, you were attracted to the positive factors that come with working in retail, such as working in a fast paced environment, working in a person centred/customer facing role, taking on a new challenge... that kind of thing? :)
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I'm simply going to reflect back what your CV / application is going to say.... you worked in retail whilst a student, since 2014 you have had several different employers, the most recent of which dismissed you, something which your reference is likely to mention.

By "several" you mean "three". Three employers in four years. Doesn't exactly scream "unreliable" these days.

Employer 1: the full time position at which they had previously done agency work. Employer 2: moved to be closer to granddad. Then there was a transfer of branch to escape family, which means this is still employer 2. Employer 3: "pushed out" by staff so jumped before they were pushed to the one who has just fired her.

Yes, an extremely picky employer may pass over them, but if that's the case then try another one. There is no reason the OP should have any difficulty finding an entry-level job in retail because they've had three jobs in four years, one of which they got fired from.

A reference may be a potential problem if the most recent employer wants to be malicious, but equally they may just give a standard "I can confirm apricity worked here between X and Y".
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have to consider the totality. Three employers in four years is a lot, and potential employers only have their word for the family issues (assuming they are even going too explain them); and the final employer there dismissed. That really is not a a solid work history. Maybe you might think that this all suggests a reliable employee, but many won't. So the OP really should be focusing on how they are going to present this. Are you suggesting they shouldn't bother?
  • apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wouldn't have left my 2nd job if i could get there easily .
    It was easier for me to move then for him to leave his new job.
    I wasn't going to stay in household where all my life i had been told its my fault for being bullied, I had chairs thrown at me as a child during arguments, blamed for my mum's depression, and basically has been accused on more than 2 occasions of doing drugs and smoking when I have never touched that stuff. And especially when my own dad punched my when I was moving out.

I own up to me getting fired - I was just stating that Its okay for others to do it but not me.
    me getting fired was my fault.

I am reliable. I only leave when things won't change and for exceptional circumstancejust unfortuneatly things has gone bad recently. Things were good with my original manager of my last job. As soon as the deputy manager became manager , thats when all hell broke loose. She managed to push 3 people out because 'she didn't like them' and thats what happened to me regardless of me helping her out, having really good relationships with parents and staff, willing to travel to different branches without problem and also being able to do informative observations and accident forms.
    But because I don't share information from outside of the nursery as we discuss stuff in room meetings monthly or because I follow the same system as everyone else does with accident forms, I am a 'very bad practitioner' ? and its just me?

My mum found it hard to be at home whilst juggling work , looking after the house & my sister and also dealing with what was going on with my grandad. So me working closer to home meant I could help her lessen the stress.

I'm more than happy to be open about everything.

It was very cliuqey in my last job.
    the manager would keep the ones she was closest to socially and push out everyone else who she didn't like - a staff member confirmed this
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Feyfangirl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    apricity wrote: »
    I wouldn't have left my 2nd job if i could get there easily .
    It was easier for me to move then for him to leave his new job.
    I wasn't going to stay in household where all my life i had been told its my fault for being bullied, I had chairs thrown at me as a child during arguments, blamed for my mum's depression, and basically has been accused on more than 2 occasions of doing drugs and smoking when I have never touched that stuff. And especially when my own dad punched my when I was moving out.

I own up to me getting fired - I was just stating that Its okay for others to do it but not me.
    me getting fired was my fault.

I am reliable. I only leave when things won't change and for exceptional circumstancejust unfortuneatly things has gone bad recently. Things were good with my original manager of my last job. As soon as the deputy manager became manager , thats when all hell broke loose. She managed to push 3 people out because 'she didn't like them' and thats what happened to me regardless of me helping her out, having really good relationships with parents and staff, willing to travel to different branches without problem and also being able to do informative observations and accident forms.
    But because I don't share information from outside of the nursery as we discuss stuff in room meetings monthly or because I follow the same system as everyone else does with accident forms, I am a 'very bad practitioner' ? and its just me?

My mum found it hard to be at home whilst juggling work , looking after the house & my sister and also dealing with what was going on with my grandad. So me working closer to home meant I could help her lessen the stress.

I'm more than happy to be open about everything.

It was very cliuqey in my last job.
    the manager would keep the ones she was closest to socially and push out everyone else who she didn't like - a staff member confirmed this

Well done you for being so strong and for also seeking advice after such experiences. Childcare sadly isn't what it once was, seems some people never get out the playground. Especially if you're a junior staff member and you come under fire from senior staff who have it in for you. I would try seek out the previous manager, especially if she worked with you before for a reference.

In my last setting I was told off for giving a toddler a hug at the toddler's request. The person who told me off not only hugged a toddler themselves, they then kissed a toddler on the cheek. I raised this with management, and they took her side over mine as I was a junior. Its so frustrating o.O
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

• apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    definatly and thank you, for your kind words and experience.

I spoke to another colluege told her what happened and what i didn't do or did do and she said every single person does that. I'm just taking the brunt of it and getting told off for other peoples mistakes (have more than one occasion)

but i'm not going to dwell on it.
    i have 2 childcare agencies who are keen to get me full time work / 30+ hrs per week &
    have a meeting with one tomorrow.

Also for the month of august, each thursday i will be going to a access-to-work-cv/job skills sort of course for free where i learn how to write CVs, put myself forward for jobs and things like that and also discuss what to do and how. it's been fun attending it today.
  • Feyfangirl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    apricity wrote: »
    definatly and thank you, for your kind words and experience.

I spoke to another colluege told her what happened and what i didn't do or did do and she said every single person does that. I'm just taking the brunt of it and getting told off for other peoples mistakes (have more than one occasion)

but i'm not going to dwell on it.
    i have 2 childcare agencies who are keen to get me full time work / 30+ hrs per week &
    have a meeting with one tomorrow.

Also for the month of august, each thursday i will be going to a access-to-work-cv/job skills sort of course for free where i learn how to write CVs, put myself forward for jobs and things like that and also discuss what to do and how. it's been fun attending it today.

Good on you! those people who did that to you dont deserve to take anything more from you. There will be a setting that will appreciate you for who you are and the fact is we are there to provide a safe, happy environment for the children and parents, its not meant to be used as a !!!!!ing ground.

Sadly not many have gotten the memo. Im currently looking for a new role myself so hopefully something good will come up for us both. I saw a careers adviser at my local college who was a huge help creating a skills based cv and looking through what my options would be long term.

If you ever feel like you need to chat to someone who gets it, feel free to drop me a message :)

• GreenTreen123
    Options
    So happy that the thread has turned most positive!

Get someone to have a second look at your cv as they will see spelling mistakes etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport