Can I remove this search?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
11 replies 1.3K views
first98first98 Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
I had a hard search conducted on my profile a couple of weeks ago as I was going to pay my insurance monthly.

I didn't sign the credit agreement and I decided against paying it monthly and paid it in full. I never did take out the credit.

Would it be possible for me to get that search removed from my file? If so, how would I go about doing so?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• cjvcjv Forumite
    513 Posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
    ✭✭
    You applied for credit so the search is reported correctly.

You could approach your insurer and ask them nicely, explaining the reasons why and see if they can help. They are the only ones who can remove it for you.
  • first98first98 Forumite
    16 Posts
    cjv wrote: »
    You applied for credit so the search is reported correctly.

You could approach your insurer and ask them nicely, explaining the reasons why and see if they can help. They are the only ones who can remove it for you.

Thank you for your reply.

Would I contact my insurance company or the credit company as they were separate?
  • SmellyonionSmellyonion Forumite
    258 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I don't thing it matters after a few months. They'll be no credit listed on your file if you didn't go ahead.
    16 Posts
    I don't thing it matters after a few months. They'll be no credit listed on your file if you didn't go ahead.

Applying for my mortgage this month! :S
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really think that one isolated search will have a negative impact on how you are scored by a lender. You're worrying too much!! :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
    16 Posts
    I don't really think that one isolated search will have a negative impact on how you are scored by a lender. You're worrying too much!! :)
    It's true! I'm shi**ing it!! I haven't really reigned in my spending, the whole thing is just scaring me until it's all done! :D
  • sparkey1sparkey1 Forumite
    444 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes and no.

Hard searches you can also removed but you need a good reason. I opened a current acc, and a credit card in the same bank appointment. The bank carried out two searches. I complained and got one removed as two were carried out on the same day, and the 2nd one was not neccessary.

To remove, you need to raise an issue with the insurer and also the CRA at the same time. In this case pointing out that you were making an enquiry as to the price. One thing for the future, because you were going for monthly payments, you were taking potentially taking out credit so a hard search was appropriate. If you were going to pay up front, but the screen option was defaulted to pay monthly you might get it removed. If it was default annually, and you then selected to pay monthly thats a justification for the hard search.

The fact you didnt take out the policy in itself isnt a reason to remove a search in itself, as the search is conducted in order to risk assess and determine your price.

As for "I don't thing it matters after a few months. They'll be no credit listed on your file if you didn't go ahead." The fact that there is a search, but no credit is an indication that credit may have been refused.
  • nic_cnic_c Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hard part will be that the insurance and creditor are different companies, so I would assume its the creditor that did the search not the insurer, who may say they did as requested. Usually in these cases you are made aware as part of the application that credit is provided by another company.

Whilst you could apply to get it removed, which may be unsuccessful, this could take time and if the mortgage application is this month, probably not in time. Of you have had no recent hard searches then I doubt this one would harm. You could inform your broker and they will decide whether its of potential risk or not.

Searches last 12 months on credit file, and its often how recent and how many that can affect future applications. As the search is this month and the mortgage is this month, then most likely any credit whether given/refused/rejected wouldn't appear anyway.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    first98 wrote: »
    I haven't really reigned in my spending, the whole thing is just scaring me until it's all done! :D

That's what you need to be focussing on or it won't be long before you're posting in the DFW or Banruptcy board.

A hard search by insurance brokers won't affect a mortgage application, mortgage companies understand people pay for car insurance on monthly payments.
  • sparkey1sparkey1 Forumite
    444 Posts
    ✭✭
    Tarambor wrote: »
    A hard search by insurance brokers won't affect a mortgage application, mortgage companies understand people pay for car insurance on monthly payments.

Wise words. Its one search.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals