Car Insurance for food delivery?

Options
Hi there, I've been trying for days to find out exactly what kind of insurance I need for a job as a delivery driver of food from a restaurant. Firstly some people say that I'll need Class A(1) Business Use in most insurance companies' policies. But others say Class C(3) Business Use is the correct one. But I just spoke with an insurance company on the phone who were convinced that I need some kind of special separate "hot food delivery insurance", and that I will not be covered by regular "business use" cover. There is no real concrete information on the matter anywhere online or over the phone. My current car insurance company won't cover me for the job. It's very confusing.

Does anyone have any clear information about this please?
Many thanks.

Comments

• Aristophanes
    Options
    custardy wrote: »

many others on Google

No. Every "compare quote" link on that page you pasted takes me to a generic Aviva Insurance advert (blocked by uOrigin) which says nothing about insurance for a food delivery driver. This does not offer me any new information.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Google food delivery car insurance
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No. Every "compare quote" link on that page you pasted takes me to a generic Aviva Insurance advert (blocked by uOrigin) which says nothing about insurance for a food delivery driver. This does not offer me any new information.

Use a different browser then.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I googled takeaway driver insurance and got many hits
    That was one.
    hence "many others on Google"

Perhaps let me know if all the other hits on google also offer any new information....
  • Aristophanes
    Aristophanes Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Google food delivery car insurance
    Are the respondents in these forums just looking for a quick "thanks" in return for the laziest possible answer? Did you bother to read my post? Do you not think I've bothered to Google food delivery car insurance before coming here?
  • Aristophanes
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I googled takeaway driver insurance and got many hits
    That was one.
    hence "many others on Google"

Perhaps let me know if all the other hits on google also offer any new information....
    No kidding, you entered something into Google and got results? I'm in awe. Please teach me your masterful methods of valuable information retrieval.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    https://www.tradesmansaver.co.uk/fast-food-delivery-insurance

It looks like you need a policy like the one I have linked above which is a public liability insurance NOT a motor insurance policy.

From link:
    Please note that this is a Public Liability policy ONLY. You will be covered for any third party injury or third party property damage arising out of your business as a fast food delivery driver. For example, if somebody were to trip over the food bag you left on the floor whilst unloading your vehicle or if you were to damage somebody's property whilst attempting a delivery.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you spoken to any insurers to see if you need cover ?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the respondents in these forums just looking for a quick "thanks" in return for the laziest possible answer? Did you bother to read my post? Do you not think I've bothered to Google food deliver car insurance before coming here?

I'm going to guess at no.
    This is the top hit for me

did you call them?
    http://www.welldunninsurance.co.uk/vehicle-insurance/fast-food-delivery-driver-insurance/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback