Looking for new Nokia (old style layout)

Options
Lz?Kithra
Lz?Kithra Posts: 57 Forumite
[FONT=&quot]I’m looking for a Nokia mobile that takes a micro sim. I want a Nokia as I need the layout where you just press a key to accept and/or end a call instead of having to swipe as my current smartphone does. I want a sim free phone as I can then just transfer my Three PAYG micro sim card.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My current smartphone seems to have trouble answering a call when I swipe and can take ages to respond, meaning a call may be dropped, so I want to revert to the older way of doing things. I’ve given up on smartphones – no more swiping for me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But the screen must be at least 2.4 inches or I won’t be able to read it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It doesn’t have to have wi-fi or any “bells and whistles” but it must have a camera. All I really want is to be able to call and text and take the odd picture. However, I don’t really want anything too cheap as they often don’t last, so a price between £30 and £60, or just over, would be about right.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BTW: It doesn’t have to be a Nokia but there the only ones I’ve found with the layout keys that I like. I’ve been looking on the net, but to no avail, so I wonder if anyone can give me suggestions?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]
Liz R

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nokia 3310 3G at http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7908930 for £49.99
    Display and Design:

2.4 inch TFT display.
    Resolution 240 x 320 pixels.
    With a density of 167 pixels per inch.
    Curved screen.

Argos have a selection of "old style" phones all SIM Free
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 July 2018 at 3:40PM
    Options
    You cannot use a 3 sim in a non 3g phone and you can always adapt the sim up in size with a sim adaptor.

Alternatively get a free sim from somewhere and use that as a free size adaptor.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Lz?Kithra
    Options
    Thank you, I didn't know about that. I may have to just get a completely new sim from three, or would i have to change my network operator? Apart from that I still don't know what phones to look at.
    I'll be back tomorrow for any other replies.
    Liz R
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lz?Kithra wrote: »
    ...as I need the layout where you just press a key to accept and/or end a call instead of having to swipe as my current smartphone does.
    Just a thought, but assuming you have an Android phone, have you tried enabling single tap mode:

http://www.solveyourtech.com/enable-single-tap-mode-android-marshmallow/

which should enable you to accept calls with a single tap rather than a swipe. I imagine the mechanism for enabling this could vary depending on your version of Android.
    Stompa
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My galaxy phones have been swipe to answer for a long time, but if your on the contacts page you can simply press the answer button and not have to swipe.

Easily sorted on Android. There is almost always a setting or app to do what you need.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    your local shop will give you an adapter for free (they did for me)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your local Three shop will do you a SIM swap while you wait, it's really not an issue.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Lz?Kithra
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for the replies. Yes, my smartphone is an Android and I didn!!!8217;t know about the tap mode, I!!!8217;ll take a look in the Settings. As for being on the contacts page I!!!8217;m not often on that unless I!!!8217;ve just had a text. There isn!!!8217;t a local Three shop in my town so it wouldn!!!8217;t be easy to get either an adapter or a SIM swap.[/FONT]
    Liz R
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a quick caveat here.. A lot of SIM adaptors are fine. However some will pull the pins back on your SIM reader if and when removing the SIM. This was an issue for where I worked a couple of years back where we trialled windows phones (Nokia). We used NANO SIM's in adaptors given to us by O2 (they were in a blue flip out wallet thing). They bent the pins back and voila, knackered phone.

Of course this may not happen to you but just be careful, if it feels tight when you push it in you may be in trouble when pulling it out.

(zips up double entendre suit).
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Lz?Kithra
    Options
    Thank you for that Exemplar. I've re-read my smartphone manual and it says that to answer the phone I should just tap on the icon. I didn't realize that and have been trying to swipe it. So in future I'll just tap and hope that solves my problem. I should have read the manual more carefully in the first place, LOL.
    Liz R
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport